Henckles and the Americans

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Henckles and the Americans

Post by jim d, »

Bill - Henckles and the Americans - sounds like a good name for a band - maybe you could be their bass player :D Seriously, I have a question.

I remember you mentioning that you have repaired many Henckles, as well as Case and other(?) American leverlocks, and that many of the components were identical. If I recall correctly, you thought they likely came from the same source. In light of the recent insight you provided about various German leverlocks being made by a relatively few manufacturers, I'm wondering if the German Henckles and the similar American leverlocks might have been assembled at the same facility. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Henckles and the Americans

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, I have been chastised about my comment. I don't own any of the Henckels, Union, KABar, Case knives, so it's difficult for me to make actual comparisons. I did have 2 in the shop at the same time, and I posted my thoughts. I won't have any further thoughts until I have more of the knives to compare, or someone provides me with pictures.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thanks for the feedback. I don't own any of those models either, but would like to. The issue is that nice examples cost as much as a small house :D

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim, I'm trying to buy my daughter a small house right now.
Trust me-the knives are cheaper!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Yeah Bill, the knives are much cheaper. My son and his wife live in the central part of your state. They are musicians, and are not famous so they are not wealthy (unlike some other residents of their area). Housing prices there have skyrocketed!

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I have been assured we will own nothing and be happy.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Und you vill eat ze bugs, too!