4 Angry OTFs

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ColdEthyl

4 Angry OTFs

Post by ColdEthyl »

I will try WD40 tomorrow, as I understand that may be the next step. However, should I bother? I can think of a few ways to open and identify these buggers that would surely make everyone hate me! Are these worth working on? I hope I'm in the proper repair/struggle/frustrated forum. These are the only ones out of about 50 that didn't want to play. Thanks in advance. Katie
IMG_1953.jpeg
IMG_1953.jpeg (407.77 KiB) Viewed 28211 times
Tom19176

Re: 4 Angry OTFs

Post by Tom19176 »

The top one is very collectible . Bill will respond....Don't do anything yet...
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Tom19176 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:39 am The top one is very collectible . Bill will respond....Don't do anything yet...
Got it, kind sir. Soooo tempting.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Top knife is not an automatic. It's a gravity knife. The blade should slide out when you push the button. Trap door needs to be open, and knife pointed down. These are very popular with collectors.

Second is an older German Boker lever lock. Try squeezing the blade shut with one hand, and depressing the lever with the other hand. Ease the blade open.
Same with #3. It's Italian. Perhaps you just aren't familiar with their operation. The levers should be depressed smartly with the thumb of your right hand, and the knife pops open. When the lever is folded forward, the knife is safe. Same procedure to close-depress the lever and fold the blades closed.

#4 is a knife that was produced by Angelo Campolin, Sr. in the early 1970s. It appears that the handles have shrunk considerably, and this may be impeding operation. To open this one, push the button forward with your thumb. To close, pull the button back.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

silly billy the top one is NOT a gravity lol , it is in fact a automatic it is a super rare automatic otf made by Rosa Uliana Primo , you press on bottom part of button to open blade , press on top part of button to close blade , blade will fall back into handle then you use trapdoor to cock blade for next firing. it is a super rare very valuable knife made in 1962 maniago Italy. alot of times these old automatic knives just need some good oil to work right (dont use Latama oil as it will gum up), use Hoppes or Break free oil or good gun/reel oil .
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

I would NEVER have figured these out! All but #4 are now open. So many thanks. You people are brilliant!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Please tell us about the first one. Is it an automatic, or a gravity knife?
I have been wrong before!
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

METALGOD was correct! Here's a pic of them open in no particular order:

IMG_2061 Large.jpeg
IMG_2061 Large.jpeg (409.2 KiB) Viewed 28056 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That's great!
The Boker 712 is an early one-as evidenced by the long lever spring.
The unmarked lever lock with the plastic stag handles was made by G. O. Massaro in Maniago, Italy. It is a relatively recent knife-probably post-2000.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:46 pm Please tell us about the first one. Is it an automatic, or a gravity knife?
I have been wrong before!
man billy you better lay off that moonshine lol its eating your memory bad ive had to correct you 4 times now in last few months :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Please stop the snide comments.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:53 pm Please stop the snide comments.
TRUTH HURTS DONT IT LITTLE BILL, YOU EDIT STUFF HERE ALL THE TIME YOUR NOT FOOLING ANYONE FUCKING DUMB ASS MOTHERFUCKER :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I apologize, but I really feel we should leave Metalgod's posts up here for a while, so that everyone can see what a nice, stable person he is.
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Now that Bill DeShivs isn't going to be unnecessarily attacked, I just want to add that the one that looks unmarked actually says "rostfrei" in script-ish letters on the tang. Just in case that changes something. It's definitely not the prettiest of the bunch, but it can't be post 2000 because dad wasn't collecting any time after @1995. I'm going to photograph all my leverlocks and post because I'm have a heck of a time finding exact examples of them online. Hopefully you kind people will recognize them!
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Oops...here's the pic:
IMG_2477 Large.jpeg
IMG_2477 Large.jpeg (243.77 KiB) Viewed 27856 times