New projects, eventually

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
LD57

New projects, eventually

Post by LD57 »

I had some custom paper micarta made for a couple of knives that I plan on changing the scales.
One is a RR carbon toothpick that will be rescaled using the micarta made to resemble the candy stripe scales on old Hammer and other brands. This micarta did not turn out as crisp looking as I hoped, but we’ll see.
The other is a SOGWinder 2 that the Kraton scales had deteriorated on. The SOG has a wide handle, so I think the rattlesnake print will work for it.
I’m not positive how the micarta is made, but I believe the image is color printed out on paper many times, then stacked and processed into micarta. In theory, no matter how it’s ground and shaped, the same image goes through all the layers. In theory. I’ll find out, I guess.
There are two scales in each set, which are mirror images.
Attachments
B6EF520F-3FF3-41DA-B55D-2E78EA10E052.jpeg
B6EF520F-3FF3-41DA-B55D-2E78EA10E052.jpeg (284.73 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
john

Re: New projects, eventually

Post by john »

Can’t wait to see your rescaled knives.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed