"Maltese Mangle", Or Build?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: "Maltese Mangle", Or Build?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's not dovetailed. That's just a grinding mark.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I can't be certain . . . . . but I would bet it's a Sandoval mix and match parts knife.
On a CD Disc somewhere I have photo jpegs of about 10 Sandoval Maltese autos.
If I find it, I'll post them. . . maybe compare images.

Reason I do not think it's vintage maltese.
The top bolster near the picklock tab, the guard or "Ear" comes right out of the "curve"

in the photo below, the "Ear" behind the lock tab has a "flat" . . . .
Which is typical on most flatguards whether they are maltese or classic "S" curve bolsters.
photo credit to: Scotty000
Attachments
Maltese-S-Coop-Scotty000-k006.jpg
Maltese-S-Coop-Scotty000-k006.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jerry is correct. The knife Jerry pictured has been worked on. Look at the rivets.
To further expound on this, the rivets have been "spun." Spinning rivets was only done on production knives much later.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you, Jerry, for chiming in. The more input, the better. If you ever come across those pics without too much effort, would surely be appreciated. I had no notion as to the knife being one of those antique S COOP Flatguards, though I DO believe these bolsters fall into the flatguard criteria. Here are a few pics of what my thought process was on making the purchase. On the left, is Neal's 8.5" 1920's-30's from page 14 of SOI. The center, is his post of the same knife here on TB viewtopic.php?p=304872#p304872 , and, the far right was the only photo I had to go by in making the purchase. I'm sure we can see what intrigued me to want to take a closer look. The button/safety placement itself, should have told me more than I absorbed at the time...

Here's a pic of the bottom bolsters, which I really don't think are "stock" either....

All in all, I certainly don't think the knife is vintage in any way. Seems to be a decent little knife that's just a bit different. Would have been great for someone to take the credit with a stamp or etch.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I thought I had seen those front bolsters on a legitimate antique.
Apparently, someone copied Neal's knife.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Chris

I cant weigh in on the build aesthetics etc on this knife ,but can say that it is a really great looking switchblade. 8)
Your collection has really grown well since my absence, ,congrats m8 keep it going.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Don't think from my comment that I would not appreciate this knife. . . . It's lovely.

I love black/white horn. . .I LOVE maltese guards.
It's pretty sleek. . . .
john

Post by john »

Hi Chris,
I like your knife. I don’t care who made it. It looks very well made. The horn is way cool looking.
Was the seller trying to pass it off as original?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

It’s a gorgeous knife… Whether it’s vintage or whoever made it it’s still a great conversation piece .. love it !
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

It's a Bad Azz!