More room

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

More room

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thinking about adding another 120 sq. ft. to the shop.
Will have to figure out the most efficient use of the space, but I sure can use it. If I buy a metal building, finishing out the inside will still probably cost more than the building! Space for a fiber laser engraver would be nice, and a reloading bench, room to work on guitars, even a wood burning stove.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: More room

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

more elbow room, good for you Bill.
john

Post by john »

Go for it.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Sounds interesting, if you do go with a metal building, what would you use for the floor? Poured concrete?

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim,
In my town, anything with a concrete slab is taxable as home square footage, so I will have a foundation built for it.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

I've never heard anyone complain about expanding their property, whether main house or out-buildings. If you don't mind Bill, when you get it all sorted, could you share some pics of your updated shop?

Take care, Scott.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sure, but right now I'm in the "thinking about it" stage.
We are also looking for a rural property to purchase, and if we do, a whole new shop is in order.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

I'm always interested in how folks' lay out there workshops, sometimes you can pick up some great ideas from looking at how they've set theirs up.

My "shop" building is a 2 story detached garage but it's now full of cars, some motorcycles, parts and a ton of junk leftover from my kids. Luckily, I have an attached garage with a full bench on the back wall, but room is tight there too because of the old lady's car and 3 other bikes! Thusly, I'm always looking for opportunities to better manage space! :)

Not long ago I picked up 25 acres in TN, part of my wife's family's Polled Hereford ranch, but best of all, it's backed by a waterfall and a nature preserve. So the long term intent is to put down a nice ranch style home and retire up that away somewhere down the road...with more than enough space for a pre-fabbed metal workshop building.

Good luck with your upgrades brother.

Scott