Chinese swing guard project

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
LD57

Re: Chinese swing guard project

Post by LD57 »

Ok, some progress..
The ends of the bolsters were a little rough and not quite square. I filed and sanded them, so there was a little gapping with the white scales. Not much, but I scrapped them.
Now I’ve got the front scale fitted and the button is in place, and is working. I ended up adding spacer material to the back of the scale to keep from thinning the top of the scale; it was getting pretty thin.
I still need to cut a slot for the safety.
Advice on this would be appreciated. 👍
Attachments
894A58C6-5234-460C-864F-D941B988A6B3.jpeg
894A58C6-5234-460C-864F-D941B988A6B3.jpeg (278.85 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I'll offer a few suggestions on creating the safety slot.

1. Drill a 1/16" hole at the top of where the slot will be. Mount two pieces of flat steel with straight edges to the top of the scale leaving a 1/16" slit between the two pieces of steel where you want the slot to be. To mount them, tape the steel pieces in place, then mount gently in a vise or use small C-clamps. Then use a round 1/16" needle file to file the slot from the hole down using the steel pieces as guides.

2. Do everything I just described, but instead of using a file use a wire saw threaded through the hole. You can get fine saw wire on Amazon in .3, .5, and 1 millimeter diameters. You should be able to find some in a diameter close to the width of the slot you want. The saw wire I see costs around $14 for a 3 meter coil.

Either way, if the slot doesn't come out wide enough you can always widen it with some sand paper of a flat needle file.

I own a few sets of needle files, both standard and diamond, and I consider them a vital necessity for making switchblades. I'd be lost without them. You can also get them from Amazon.

And I like the looks of that front handle scale :) .
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
LD57

Post by LD57 »

Thanks Killgar. I will look for those on Amazon.
I'm happy with the fit of the button in the scale hole, but I can tell there's a little rubbing of the button on the scale (towards the rear bolster) as I press it down.
The button moves backwards a little as it's pressed down because of its design. Do you relieve the hole slightly to offset this?
I've compared it to some of the Italian switchblades I've got. Some have a hole that has more clearance around the button, but I don't know if that's by design or if the guy working on the scales just got a little carried away.
I'm trying to keep the scales as slim as possible, so the button sits up a little higher above the surface than on the original scales.
It works OK, but... I guess if I press the button a couple of thousand times it will buff itself out. :D
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I can't tell how much higher your button is above the scale, but it looks like a very close fit. You might have to enlarge the hole a little. For that I would recommend using a round file as close to the size of the hole as possible, or some sandpaper wrapped around something round and as close as possible, and only remove a little scale material at a time all the way around the hole with frequent test fitting. I wouldn't use the next size drill bit and try to drill it larger because you're likely already very close to where you want to be, and drilling can remove more than you expect, or it can cause chipping or other destructive mishaps. Enlarging a hole that's almost just right is a task that requires a gentle touch.

Also, to provide clearance for the button I always remove some material from around the rear of the hole on the underside of the scale. I do this with a fine round file held at an angle through the hole using careful, gentle strokes, but it could also be done with sandpaper wrapped around something round.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
LD57

Post by LD57 »

OK, that I can do.

chipping... sigh..
If you look closely, you will see a small chip at the 11 o'clock position. I drilled from the back using the original scale as a template held in place by the screws, had a drill bit that was just the right size.
Like a dummy, I didn't even tape the front of the scale. I think I can sand it out, though.

Looking back at your 1st generation Ti-lite 6 conversions, I assume you are not using an Italian sourced button/sear. I like the look of that button.
I'd like a straight plunge button, but the button could not be rigidly fixed to the current lever.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Oh yeah, I know about chipping. I learned the hard way to drill the button hole very sloooowly, and use a sharp bit. I don't like having to toss handle scales in the trash. I also learned the hard way to enlarge the hole by hand once it matches the button like I mentioned, rather than drilling it larger . I was doing a scale, and the button didn't fit through the hole, it was a fraction too small, so I used the next size bit I had thinking it would be fine, but it produced a hole that was a lot larger than I expected, or that was necessary, too much to be acceptable to me, so I had to scrap it and start over.

And then there was the time I was starting to drill out the underside of the scale before milling out the cavity (a G1 Ti-Lite), and I let myself get distracted, and accidentally drilled all the way through the scale. I couldn't believe I did that. Well, I couldn't have an extra hole in the scale right behind the button hole, so in the trash it went, and a few hours of work completely wasted, along with the G10.

For me, making handle scales is actually the most stressful part of making switchblades, specifically the button side scale, because it requires a lot of work, and the closer I get to finishing it the more I stress thinking "if I screw it up now a whole days work, and a handle scale, will be completely wasted". And like I described above- been there, done that, more times than I've mentioned.

As for the sears/rocker arms I used in my G1Auto-Lites, you're correct, they are custom parts. I bought them from a guy who used to sell switchblades parts, several he had custom/factory made. His sears and rocker arms are more robust than typical Italian ones. I also used these sears/rockers in all of my previous switchblades. Unfortunately these parts are no longer available. I had a small supply, but I'm always going to be kicking myself for not buying more. The few I have left are worth their weight in gold to me.

The two in the middle are the custom ones, the ones at the top and bottom are from a Frank Beltrame. The custom sears are thicker, have a lot more material around the pin/screw slot, and have a longer beak. And the rocker allows for any manner of button to be attached. They're pretty awesome parts. Still kicking myself.

LD57

Post by LD57 »

Well…
CRAP. 🤬
Attachments
0383FA95-77DD-49FC-BCA2-852345A04E17.jpeg
0383FA95-77DD-49FC-BCA2-852345A04E17.jpeg (302.49 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

That blows goats!
2024 candidate for president
LD57

Post by LD57 »

Yes. Yes it does.
john

Post by john »

It’s happened to me and I bet a lot of other manglers too. I stay away from brittle plastic scale material.
Don’t give up, keep at it.
Good luck!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
LD57

Post by LD57 »

Thanks John.
I’ve glued it, should be enough to at least finish the project.
LD57

Post by LD57 »

Ok, the front scale is glued. I dropped it on a tile floor and it hit just right to overstress the weakest point. ☹️
Had to use two layers of spacer material. Don’t like the look; it needs a thicker spacer.
Scale and spacer will be replaced.
But I’m gonna keep moving on this.
Still need to cut and fit the rear scale.
I put it together enough to test it. It works, but the button is hard to push, so some tweaking is needed.
Attachments
0C267F57-264E-4B54-BB14-3C7B29EAA590.jpeg
0C267F57-264E-4B54-BB14-3C7B29EAA590.jpeg (386.02 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
8AE187E7-25A6-4084-8A38-B42E257F32CF.jpeg
8AE187E7-25A6-4084-8A38-B42E257F32CF.jpeg (386.82 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks really good so far!
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Please tell us you aren't goint to use those slotted screws.
LD57

Post by LD57 »

😆
No, I’ll either use something with a much smaller head, or I might, once I get the scales installed, cut them near flush and grind them down. Either peen them or just leave them flush, since I also tapped the holes in the scales.
These were the right size for the tap I used and I had a bunch of ‘em. I’m just using them to hold everything in place while I grind and fit the scales.