Blade Peak

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
XBMX

Blade Peak

Post by XBMX »

I understand that blade peak is a common condition plaguing automatic knives in general. My question pertains to new or relatively new knives exhibiting peak. I almost bought one today. These usually appear to be new yet have peak without any wear or signs of use. I'm thinking the blades having the pin hole drilled out of place is highly unlikely as they would be placed into a alignment jig to prevent this. Would you think the release pin somehow is being bent causing the issue. What's your take?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Blade Peak

Post by Bill DeShivs »

My take? Just sloppy quality control.
There are several things that can cause blade peek: Pivot pin, sear notch, sear, loose assembly-or a combination of these.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:00 pm My take? Just sloppy quality control.
There are several things that can cause blade peek: Pivot pin, sear notch, sear, loose assembly-or a combination of these.
I've read that slight peak can be somewhat improved by bending the pin and also by filing the kick at the base of the blade. As a professional I know you would disassemble but how about us amateurish guys. Thanks much.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't do either of those things! You'll screw up the knife.
The only way to fix it is to do it right.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:01 pm Don't do either of those things! You'll screw up the knife.
The only way to fix it is to do it right.
Thanks for your reply, deep down I knew the hard way was the best.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

jigs and fixtures are not "forever". . . .they wear out.