Batwing/Oval Button Stuck

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rithvich

Batwing/Oval Button Stuck

Post by rithvich »

I remember reading about this years ago and can't find the thread. On the 13" Campolin oval buttons and batwings when the button gets stuck, after being pushed in, is there a quick fix or does the knife need to be taken apart and some scale material removed?
whippersnapper

Re: Batwing/Oval Button Stuck

Post by whippersnapper »

I can't find the discussion either. Was it here or sharperdeals?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sometimes you can flex the handle a little and it will pop up.
Humidity makes the horn swell. Put the knife in a warm, dry spot for a while.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Thanks Bill and Whipper...I think that thread may have been SD but couldn't find it there either. Bill I put it in front of a space heater for 5 minutes then gave it a tap on the bottom bolster and the button popped back up. Thanks!

Weird, it does this certain times of year. Not humidity though, None of that in Nevada. This is an older one I've had a while.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

rithvich wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:20 am I remember reading about this years ago and can't find the thread. On the 13" Campolin oval buttons and batwings when the button gets stuck, after being pushed in, is there a quick fix or does the knife need to be taken apart and some scale material removed?
This the thread? viewtopic.php?p=296181#p296181

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

not sure if i made a post about them years ago or not but anyways i had same problem but few i had were scaled in ebonywood but what i did was i folded a piece of sandpaper small enough to get between the button and scale and that worked for 1 of the knives another had same problem and scale had to be removed to de-burr the button so to speak as the edges around the buttons are kinda rough so i sanded them down with like 1500 grit paper just to get rid of roughness then put scale back and they work perfectly now while i had knife apart i had my friend Tank (TbarK) do some vine & thorn filework on backspring and butt of knife , i sold the knife years ago so if you bought a 13" Batwing ebonywood swinguard with vine and thorn filework from me that is one i fixed . there are few tricks i tried like using a exacto razor knife to remove little around button,sandpaper around button , even tried oil , so its either one of two things going wrong either button needs sanded around edges or the horn or scale material needs to be a hair bigger so button can move up an down freely without getting stuck .
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

METALGOD wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:17 pm while i had knife apart i had my friend Tank (TbarK) do some vine & thorn filework on backspring and butt of knife , i sold the knife years ago so if you bought a 13" Batwing ebonywood swinguard with vine and thorn filework from me that is one i fixed .
I bought that one from you Bernie and holding onto to it tight! Your fix worked great. It's gorgeous and works flawlessly...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
button_man

Post by button_man »

Jules ~ I have a couple big beefy knives very similar to this one, and would love to find more.... are they limited-editions, or what?
They seem very difficult to find. Is there a reliable source for these pieces? Thanks!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

button_man wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:07 am Jules ~ I have a couple big beefy knives very similar to this one, and would love to find more.... are they limited-editions, or what?
They seem very difficult to find. Is there a reliable source for these pieces? Thanks!
As much as I do enjoy sharing pics of my collection, I didn't intend to distract from the OP for the issue he faces with his own. I hope the above recommendations have helped him out and his is working better. As far as the availability of the 13" Renzo Pascotto/A.G.A. Campolin batwing swinguards: Designed in 2010, the one pictured is a 2011 model. Bernie had a similar issue and provided a fix that worked for him. He had the filework added during the fix process. A.G.A. Campolin did offer a very limited run in 2017 for their 70th anniversary, then recently offered what appears to be a small run in 2020 that sold out quickly from the online store (3Knives). They changed the pivot pin to an adjustable screw, which didn't seem to deter sales and I've read no complaints. I just found it untraditional, personally. I'm not sure if the current lack of availability is because Renzo Pascotto, now in his mid-80's, has finally retired or not(?). I'm not exactly sure how it works. Renzo Pascotto designs them, then hands off all future production to A.G.A. Campolin? Or, is/was he involved, hands on, with every model made? I'm afraid that those of us looking to add one, are only likely to hope a current collector is willing to part ways with one. As you stated, not an easy find lately.

button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks Jules! It seems odd that a product in high demand, that commands a high price, would not encourage the manufacturers
to keep producing it.... "Gee, these sell like hotcakes and bring in a lot of money.... let's stop making them."

I often find myself baffled as to how the Italian shops arrive at such decisions..... there seems to be little logic to them.
Of course, maybe I'm missing something here....
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The man that makes the bat wing knives is old and ill. There are no new people taking up the trade in Maniago.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

There is only ONE guy in the entire country of Italy who has been making these...?! Wow. Yes, that explains a lot.