Carbon or stainless

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

Carbon or stainless

Post by thom »

Bill or anyone, I am having a knife made and the builder wants to know carbon or stainless blade. What is the difference? Do they look the same? Which would you choose?
Thanks
Thom
It is for a stiletto
Last edited by thom on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TRYKER

Re: Carbon or stainless

Post by TRYKER »

i'm not bill, butt, i have something to say.
what are you going to use it for and what kind of climate ???
my personnel prefrance is carbon, either o1 or d2 leaning towards d2. with that it does need spiecal care so it doesn't rust. butt it holds an edge for ever, i'm a sucker for scandi grind.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

If your not going to do alot of cutting and it will be more for show and tell I'd go with stainless.
2024 candidate for president
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks for the input. It will be for show. Does the carbon steel have a dark color? Are they both same color? I want shiny.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Either will be shiny, if the maker polishes it. You really can't tell the difference.
Modern stainless steels hold an edge as well as, or better than, carbon steels.
Should you use stainless, make sure the maker knows how to properly heat treat it, or that he send it out to a commercial heat treater.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks for the information. I thought maybe the carbon steel was dark in color
Thom
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Only after it rusts or "patinas." If you keep it oiled, carbon steel will stay shiny. Stainless is easier to maintain-but stainless WILL rust, under extreme conditions.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.