Advice on making spring

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JimBrown257

Re: Advice on making spring

Post by JimBrown257 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 am ?? Music wire is 1095 steel.
Does steel that has been rolled require some different tempering than normal/raw carbon steel? Whenever I have tried to make a rolled music spring stronger, I harden it like normal, then it either snaps from too little tempering or ends up being as weak as it started because of too much tempering.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

djones wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:13 pm This is what I used:

0.105" Diameter
That is probably the issue. The original square spring was a 1/8" (.125") wide and about that thick. If you had a round one that was only 0.105", then your spring would have only been about 55% the size of the original one.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No, the heat treatment is the same.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

So why does it the heat treated music wire springs not seem all that much stronger than they do without the heat treating? Is there really not that much of a difference better heat treated springs and rolled ones?