AGA 13" Batwing Problem

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
texans123

Re: AGA 13" Batwing Problem

Post by texans123 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:09 am

Bill DeShivs wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:41 pm
Open the knife to a 45 degree angle. Peen each side with a very small hammer and light taps.
Peen first side-test
peen second side- test
repeat as necessary
Do not bend the guards.
Thanks Bill - will give this a try. :)

Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:22 am

You could do it in the "Bat room".
Fishtail Picklock

Hamnjam

Post by Hamnjam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:59 am

My dream knife! I hope you were able to get it working as great as it looks. One thing for sure is worth whatever effort it takes to fix it. I am a complete novice, but with a work of art this amazing i would email mr. Campolin and ask him to fix it professionally at any cost. No way would i file or permanently alter this knife myself in anyway. While i totally understand your frustration i would feel so lucky to have your problem, haha. You have one of the worlds true treasures for sure, its worth every dollar to fix right.

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 am

Actually, the knife was made by Mr. Pascotto for Mr. Campolin.
It can be fixed correctly here, rather than risking sending it back to Italy.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives.

texans123

Post by texans123 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Hamnjam, glad you like the knife. Thanks.

Bill, I tried to peen it as you suggested and the problem still occurs. So it will most likely be heading your way for a repair in the future.

Hamnjam

Post by Hamnjam » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 pm

Man i hope youre able to get this fixed, this is what my grail piece is. I cant wait to own one just like it. It will break my heart if theres anything wrong when i finally buy one. Everything about your knife looks amazing and its worth the effort to fix it right. Congrats on owning one of the finest knives ever made.