Setting up your filework

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

MrBIGG,
Very nice work! Remember when we were first talking about how to do this
metal Art.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

thanks benny and claudester! - yeah it wasn't that long ago - and i've only really scrapped one spring....although i always see room for improvement in my filework!

you got any pics to show us mr claudester?
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

mrbigg wrote:thanks benny and claudester! - yeah it wasn't that long ago - and i've only really scrapped one spring....although i always see room for improvement in my filework!

you got any pics to show us mr claudester?
I've done a few blades for some friends of mine and that's about it. I've been kinda busy settin up my place up in the north country and once that's done I'll go nuts, I can't wait. I use to take my stuff to work and set it up in my office but one day my direct boss came in and wasn't to happy seeing a switch in a vise on my desk. We have a no weapons policy where I work :roll: its a school. Not to cool she said.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Claudester wrote: I use to take my stuff to work and set it up in my office but one day my direct boss came in and wasn't to happy seeing a switch in a vise on my desk.
LOL- yeah, after columbine, Im surprised they didnt have a swat team on ya.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey Benny,
A couple of years back I would bring my rifles in the week of deer season just to clean them up. I'd be settin there with the principal cleaning my guns and having coffee, Not anymore. Those days are gone forever.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

I do all my layouts with a triangle file. Figure out how far apart the marks need to be. Measure a point on your file that is the same width. Draw a line around your file with a fine point sharpie. Place one edge of the file, at the mark, against where you want the mark, drag the file down to make a small mark. Place the file in that mark and roll it over once or twice, whatever you measurement is and make another mark. Keep going until all your lines are marked on the side of your spine or whatever you are filing. Taking your time using this method produces much better results than a marker and a ruler. I started doing it this way because with a ruler, scribe, marker or anything else, I just can't keep it straight.

Here are some of the results of this method:

daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Cigarman, that's some pretty snazzy file work. I like that Fluted look and what you did to the torque heads(?) Would you happen to do custom work on existing knives for people :D :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Todays trivia [discovered by Rev Al himself] In a pinch a torx driver will frequently fit some allen screws VERY well 8) The revrese is NOT true :evil: