Patina?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

Patina?

Post by thom »

Bill, I saw 2 Walt's Flatguards on SD. The bolsters look a little rough. Can they be made to look new, if so about what would be the approximate cost? Is it a matter of buffing? Does N/S rust?
Thanks,
Thom
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Patina?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nickel silver doesn't rust.
When these bolsters are stamped, the process makes them develop a "skin" that is very difficult to remove. It requires heavy buffing or even sanding. It's very difficult to get an even finish when the bolsters are on the knife.
I just looked on SD. If one of the knives is a stag model-I don't know what would cause spotting like that. I'm sure they can be polished, but doing a proper polish job is much easier with the parts off the knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks Bill. I like the knives, but not sure of the pitting? There is a stag and a blonde horn. One has pitting on top bolster, the other has pitting on bottom bolster. Is that something you would be willing to do? At what cost?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sure. Probably 1/2 Hr each. ($35)
Less if they are easy, more if difficult.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I've seen that before on a NS bolster. It almost seems like some chemical caused the NS to develop corrosion spots that looks like regular steel rust. The other time I saw it, it was a stag knife so I thought it might have been caused by the potassium stuff that is used to make stag look aged. But one of those Walts has horn. Is there any thing like that that is used on horn?