polishing horn scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

polishing horn scales

Post by thom »

Is it ok to polish horn scales with a dremel? Using the felt polishing wheel/pad, which polish do I use, white green red? Any tips? Higher or lower speed? The scales are already polished from new. I have a knife that the scales are kind of dull.
Thom
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: polishing horn scales

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I wouldn't. You'll probably burn the scales. Dremel polishing wheels turn too fast, and have a very small contact area.
My suggestion is to use Simichrome, Flitz, Mothers, etc. very sparingly on a soft cloth. Rub briskly-covering as much area as you can at one time.
Use only enough polish to saturate into the cloth, so you don't get the polish into the joints and spaces around the button, etc.
When finished, do the same thing with paste wax or neutral paste shoe polish. Buff with soft cloth. The wax may be all you need, anyway.
Again, be careful not to get excess wax into areas where it ca't be removed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.