Need Custom Re-scale

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
arlen

Need Custom Re-scale

Post by arlen »

I have just received a Frank Beltrame 11" stiletto. I am unhappy with the scales on this knife and would like to have it re-scaled with acrylic tortoise shell. Would like to have excellent craftsmanship and a couple of beautiful sections of acrylic tortoise shell.
Please PM me.
Regards,
arlen
arlen

Re: Need Custom Re-scale

Post by arlen »

Would it be more convenient if I supplied the acrylic tortoise shell?
Regards,
arlen
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't do rescales unless they are necessary as part of a restoration project.
There are several here who do them.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
arlen

Post by arlen »

I was hoping one of those men would jump in, offer their skills, and take on this project. I am beginning to think that I have embarrassed myself by posting in an inappropriate section of the forum. Let me re-try this thread over in the "Buy and Sell" section.
Thanks, Bill.
Regards,
arlen
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

This is the right place.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Bill DeShivs wrote:This is the right place.
Yes it is. Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

Things are a bit slow just now. Summer and vacations offer other things to do. Computer
and web time suffers :lol: The "manglers", affectionate term for those who work on these knives, will be showing up.
arlen

Post by arlen »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I will be reading this forum to glean what I can about re-scaling the handles. I am going to order some tortoise shell acrylic to see what shades are available and how thick the material must be for the knife. By the time I get this knife to my liking there will be several hundred dollars spent, I suppose.
Regards,
arlen
thom

Post by thom »

Try Jimbrown257. He is on this forum. He rescaled a knife for me and turned out excellent. Or just buy one already the way you want.
Thom
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Jimbrown can do an excellent job on that knife if he has time for it!
2024 candidate for president
arlen

Post by arlen »

A forum member has offered his skills to re-handle this knife and he is now in possession of the knife and plastic. After he finishes reworking the scales, we will celebrate the work on this forum (if he is willing to give permission to show his work).
Regards,
arlen
arlen

Post by arlen »

I have taken a couple of pictures of the knife after it has been re-scaled by JimBrown257 (Jeremy Kreis). I am very happy with the results of the re-scale. Jeremy also lined the bolsters on the top. This has really added a supreme touch to the bolsters.
I wish that the pictures were professional quality because this knife absolutely has been transformed by Jeremy.

The acrylic was purchased from Kirinite. Jeremy sectioned out a beautiful area from the acrylic which has very good figure for the handle. This job was finished within a short period of time and I had the knife back before I knew it.

Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Looks like another great job by Jeremy and I'm so glad you're happy with it Arlen. (looks much better!)

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Post by thom »

Jeremy does outstanding work
DonC

Post by DonC »

Chalk up another win for Jeremy. Looking good.
DonC
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Looks very nice!