Can a "Ring Pull" lock be converted to a Fulcrum blade release?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Can a "Ring Pull" lock be converted to a Fulcrum blade release?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Calling Bill DeShivs for an opinion/answer.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Can a "Ring Pull" lock be converted to a Fulcrum blade release?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes, it can.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Thank you, sir.
Fishtail Picklock
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

i kinda did the opposite before , took fulcrum (if its called that) turned it into ring pull . years ago AKC made the flat oval button hunter knife with fulcrum release so i basicly took off the fulcrums and turned them into ring-pulls, Angelo had bunch parts left over and i told him what i did and suggested it to him to take parts he had left over and make them ring-pull instead of fulcrum so thats what he did you can ask him he credits me for the idea but i was just suggesting it as ive seen older ones that were made that way but anyways i still have all the fulcrums i took off if anyones intersted in them let me know i have maybe 50-60 of them.
Fishtail Picklock

IMHO it is far more difficult to carry/use a "ring pull" blade release than a fulcrum. You must remember that I'm old "practical pig" and my mind tends to run in those channels.
Fishtail Picklock
lance

Post by lance »

P.m me bernie id like to see the fulcrum tabs you have,are they the wide chunky wedge style or the skinny long stiletto style? Ive also seen the teardrop shape.if your talkin long slim w a round end or a teardrop.im into it
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

METALGOD wrote:i kinda did the opposite before , took fulcrum (if its called that) turned it into ring pull . years ago AKC made the flat oval button hunter knife with fulcrum release so i basicly took off the fulcrums and turned them into ring-pulls, Angelo had bunch parts left over and i told him what i did and suggested it to him to take parts he had left over and make them ring-pull instead of fulcrum so thats what he did you can ask him he credits me for the idea but i was just suggesting it as ive seen older ones that were made that way but anyways i still have all the fulcrums i took off if anyones intersted in them let me know i have maybe 50-60 of them.
I have one of those old oval button knives that had the fulcrum , I took it off and put a ring on it and it works fine. The fulcrum stuck out too far but so doesnt the ring I was going to put a lever on it like the Jaeger/Aeriel but never did check to see if it would work
Stagnut
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

STAGNUT wrote: I have one of those old oval button knives that had the fulcrum , I took it off and put a ring on it and it works fine. The fulcrum stuck out too far but so doesnt the ring I was going to put a lever on it like the Jaeger/Aeriel but never did check to see if it would work
That would be awesome if you could do that. Though, what do you mean by "old". I certainly wouldn't recommend doing something like that to a vintage knife.
georgyboy

Post by georgyboy »

i've had to replace the nickel silver ring pull on a aga with a steel one,when the n.s.one kept falling off
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's very easy to solder the ends of a NS ring.
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

You could put a lever like a Jaeger. But you would have to swap the bolster off and make one flat for the lever because I think they are hollow.
Stagnut
john

Post by john »

Bill D put a beautiful lever on a ring pull for me. No additional work had to be done on bolsters or any other part of the knife. It was a simple swap but the lever Bill made for me is awesome. Simply slipped your finger/thumb under the fulcrum and the blade is easily released.
BEFORE
AFTER
16” Siciliano Image
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I love that fulcrum. But if anyone wants one of the production ones that can be put on a ring pull, just let me know; I have a bunch of them.
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

Very nice John. !!
Looks cool. very Nicely done Bill
Stagnut
john

Re: Can a "Ring Pull" lock be converted tw o a Fulcrum blade release?

Post by john »

Hi Stagnut,
I had another one done
Before
After
I really like the new fulcrums; Bill did a great job.
Thanks Neighbor from NH,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed