I want to thank you, Bill.

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

I want to thank you, Bill.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

The NOS Fishtail Pick Lock is prettier and the blade is much better than I expected. The knife evokes fond memories. I'll keep it sharp and carry it with the same dedication to service that my father did.

Life is good.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: I want to thank you, Bill.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Use it. If it wears out, customize/rebuild it.
You're welcome!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

I can't figure out what "Stainless Steel" AKC used to make the blade on this knife. (Remember, This knife was built in 1997-1998).

Do you have any inside information?
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Probably 420 or equivalent.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

I was hoping that it would be at least 440A. 420 is relatively soft, isn't it? While it may be tougher and more resistant to chipping, I fear that under daily use, it will require routine, extensive sharpening.

Thank you, Bill.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Try it and see. I think you may be surprised.
Fishtail Picklock

Thanks, Bill. I hope to achieve good results from my forthcoming stag-scaled Speed Hunter. Bill, please explain to me why Blade Play states that the "best use" for these knives is "collecting"? Granted, I like having lots of knives, but using them is more fun than staring at them and showing them to friends. Ol' "Practical Pig" (me) rears his ugly head once again. I don't want to "pick your brain" too much, (you have to use it). ;)

Again, Thanks in advance.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Because they are illegal in many places.
Fishtail Picklock

Well, that figures. I have enjoyed (because it stays sharp) AUS-8 Steel (I understand that's it is the equivalent of 440B). I guess that what bothers me is a knife that winds up being of no practical use and sits in a drawer somewhere. I know I'll get a big kick out of the AKC Speed Hunter. Beauty, style, and utility. What's not to like? If it is half the quality of my older Fishtail Picklock, I'll be a happy camper!

BTW, I'm rediscovering the joys of owning my "California Legal" GT OTS pocket auto. The little ATS-34 blade cuts far beyond it's size and snaps out with consummate authority. For less than $50.00 the little auto was still a bargain!

Life is good.
Fishtail Picklock
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

We all thank Bill!
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller