Belt sander recommendations

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Belt sander recommendations

Post by hogwild »

I would like an inexpensive belt sander for some casual knife work. Something to work mostly on knives and do blade profile changes, blade slab sanding and general small shop work. What size has the most diversity of abrasives and general use. A leather belt would be nice too. Here is what I've seen that are inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6502-36-Inch ... elt+sander

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Mini-Bel ... c67d07a704

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-X-30-Belt-5- ... Sw7FRWYpJH

If you can recommend something in the below $200 range that would be great. Having a wide choice in belt grit size is ideal too. An exposed wheel to sand concave profiles seems good too. Thanks
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Belt sander recommendations

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The 4 X 36 is a wood working tool and has very limited use as a knifemaker's sander.
The 1 X 30s are the bottom end of knifemaker's tools. They are good for sharpening, and I guess you could make a knife with one. There is a better belt choice with the 1 X 30, too.
Neither of the above compare to even a cheap 2 X 72 knifemaker's grinder, but the 2 X 72s are much more expensive.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
hogwild

Post by hogwild »

Thank you. That's what I needed to know.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
john

Post by john »

Check out Harbor Freight, www.harborfreight.com, they have three belt sanders on sale. Plus you can use the 25% or 20% off coupon.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
hogwild

Post by hogwild »

Thanks John and Bill. I predict a purchase at Harbor Freight tomorrow when the coupons are best. The 1x30 should handle my casual needs well. Greg
Ludwig von Mises
DonC

Post by DonC »

If you're going with the HF unit consider the one with the small disk sander. Not that much more and a bit more utilitarian for "around the shop" use. Take a little time with the set-up and you should be o.k.
DonC
hogwild

Post by hogwild »

Wow; I can see why Bill uses the 2x72. Those are nice, powerful, and obviously useful for folks who are true craftsmen. For my casual, minor uses I expect the 1x30 will fill the need. Thanks guys.
Ludwig von Mises
trentu

Post by trentu »

I would save up and get the Grizzly 2x72. That what I have and love it. Doesn't break the bank either.
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

I have a Craftsman 2x42 with disc side sander. Its one of the best purchases I made for my small shop
Stagnut
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Craftsman 2 X 42 has been discontinued, I believe.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Zepher

Post by Zepher »

I use a 1x42 Delta from years ago, but it has an 8" disc sander as well which I almost never use on steel, great on wood though.

I ground a 12" double edged Arkansas Toothpick with it. It is made of 1.5" x 3/16" O1. OA was 17 inches. I used a hidden tang handle. Not easy, but technique makes a difference (used an angle grinder for the heavy stock removal). Since I almost always put a linear grain finish on all my knives I am thinking of going down to the college and Cad-Cam a 2x48 grinder to make it with. I will purchase a variable speed motor and that is what is holding me up. I want at least 1 hp and is that enough to make variable speed and still have enough power Ray?

Sorry I can't seem to post a pic of the Toothpick from my picture album. I click on insert image, but it just asks for a website. How do I insert an image from my picture album?

I like the Kalamazoo https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ as it is a good grinder for the economically challenged, but I will spend $450 on the "American" made Kalamazoo than the grizzly and pay the extra $160 to $200 for the 2x72 over the Grizzly plus the customer support from Kalamazoo as well. I have personally watched the owner of a great company crying as he had to layoff person after person and close whole departments as he lost business to the Global economy. Yes he wanted to make money, but he wanted his employees to make a living too. Sorry for the politics, but it's what I feel. If you can wait for the Grizzly then wait for the 2x72 Kalamazoo, but get the motorless version and put a bigger one on than they offer. They are both decent economy machines, but the one made in Michigan seems to have less problems according to reviews..
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Zepher wrote: Sorry I can't seem to post a pic of the Toothpick from my picture album. I click on insert image, but it just asks for a website. How do I insert an image from my picture album?
Scroll down under the big posting box where it says "attachments". Click that and than click on "add files". This should open up your pictures where you can click on what you want. The pic should upload by itself. When it is done click "add inline" and it will bring it up to the reply box.