Candy Stripe folder covers

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
old93

Candy Stripe folder covers

Post by old93 »

Have any of you guys ever experimented with making candy stripe covers? My daughter and I have been experimenting with a resin/hardener kit I purchased and have had some interesting results using dyes and glitter. But we'd both love to figure out how those beautiful old-time candy stripe covers were made. We've been mixing the glitter in with the resin mostly; plus I've also experimented pouring the resin into a mold and sprinkling glitter just on the surface to get that Case "goldstone" look. But I'm not sure of the approach with candy stipe or glitter stripe covers. The photo is of a beat up old Case XX 095 Fishing knife that I deconstructed and re-constructed as a single blade. The covers are dark blue-green with silver and gold glitter embedded. The photo is kida artsy and obscure to the cover up cracked, ill-fitting covers and the hardware I haven't started polishing and buffing yet. Thanks!!!
Attachments
IMG_6633-1.jpg
IMG_6633-1.jpg (139.93 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Candy Stripe folder covers

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The old candy striped material was celluloid nitrate. It had a bad habit of deteriorating in later years-and ruining the knives it was installed on.
The material was available from China until 12 or so years ago, but was pretty unstable.
There was a fellow, now deceased, who experimented with gluing strips of acrylic together to make candy-striped type scales, but it never looked right.
Casting epoxy can be used wioth colorants and glitter much like you are doing.
Suppliers also sell some glitter-type plastics.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The place I get acrylic from has colors that are slightly transparent. I've considered getting the red, orange and yellow ones and attaching them. It would be a solid scale with the original candy strip look.
john

Post by john »

Hi Jerry,
I think killbucket, RIP, made candy stripe scales the same as you’re describing.
You should do it. The scales will have the same look. The method you’re describing is the simplest way to achieve the same candy striper look and they’ll be rock solid.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Killbucket's candy stripe stuff looked bad. All the joints showed.
Perhaps using real acrylic adhesive might help. He may have used super glue.
Regardless, it will be a lot of trouble.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I know nothing about the procedure, but having your daughter involved in the project sounds like a nice bonus no matter what the outcome.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I use Weld-on when I attach acrylic pieces and the connection point is virtually invisible. I did a multi-color scale a while ago that was a bunch of connected 1/4" pieces and it looked pretty good, though they weren't the transparent stuff so it could end up looking different. It's not all that much trouble to make the connected scales; it's mostly just waiting for the stuff to solidify.
old93

Post by old93 »

Thanks, friends! Yes, for sure it's great working on this stuff with my kid. I tend to over-think things sometimes so it's refreshing seeing her mixing color and glitter, etc with a devil-may-care attitude. I'll post any results I think might be worth showing off. Maybe you guys can too!