Note to self....

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeffinn

Note to self....

Post by Jeffinn »

Propane torches have a flame that's almost invisible. When soldering bolsters on keep your fingers out of the flame! (Gotta love real life lessons). :D
Jeff
john

Re: Note to self....

Post by john »

Please be careful!
If it wasn't for the hiss of the pressurized gas coming out of the nozzle you could forget that it's on.
Butane torches burn hotter and just are as dangerous.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You'll remember next time!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jeffinn

Post by Jeffinn »

Yes, I will.
On the plus side the bolsters are solidly attached.
Jeff
john

Post by john »

Job well done!
Photo?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Jeffinn

Post by Jeffinn »

I'll post some photos when I'm finished with the knife. I'm working on some zebrawood scales for it. It's my first knife repair and while it's far from perfect, it's actually coming along nicely.
Thanks.
Jeffinn

Post by Jeffinn »

The zebrawood scales were a bust. The grain direction was running across the scale and made them weaker than I would have imagined. Two different sets cracked and broke during testing. If the grain had been running lengthwise I think they would have been stronger. Kind of a shame, I really liked the look of that wood! No problem though, live and learn. I've been working on some canary wood scales that seem much stronger. This is my first auto re-scale and there's a few issues but all in all I'm happy with the result. I'll post some knife pics in the next few days.
Been ordering a few new things to help out with this process. Hoping the next one goes smoother!
More to come!
Jeff
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

We can't wait to see what you've done.
2024 candidate for president
Jeffinn

Post by Jeffinn »

Just posted my first effort in Blade Pictures.
It was quite the learning experience. I took the knife apart numerous times trying to get the button to work correctly. Then a few more times trying to get a wood that was hard enough to hold up to the stress of pressing the button. Then I had some problems with the finish, the poly got weird on me and I had to start over. I cut some of the scales too thin, then I cut one of the scales to thick (when compared to the other one). I think I re-pinned this knife five or six different times before I got it where it was acceptable. Just when I thought it was right, I noticed that one of the bolsters was bent. It looked like someone threw the knife against a brick wall and bent one of the bolster wings in. I took the knife apart and straightened the bolster and noticed that the brass liner was gouged because of the bolster. I polished up the liner and it seems alright. All in all, I learned alot and had some fun!