Custom or bull

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Custom or bull

Post by Bill DeShivs »

So, you wish to argue semantics?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

I'm not going to agrue with you Bill. I've said all I need to say about this.

Bruce
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

More than you need to say!
I'll just say this-the knife is a cheap Chinese copy.There is no patent or trademark violation on THIS one.
When you design a quality product, and the Chinese copy it, it gets under your skin a little bit.
The seller on Gunbroker is a small-time con man who thinks he has talent, but is so insecure he needs to embellish his ads with innuendo and untruths.
Gunbroker needs to understand this and deal with him. If he were doing the same thing with firearms he would be thrown off the site.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

BruceS wrote:It's no more an indication of its country of origin than Italian Salad Dressing made by Wish Bone Company that I pass in the store isle every time I shop.

Bruce
To not see the difference between a style of salad dressing and the clear implication that a knife is of Italian origin is breathtaking. This is a sad commentary on the quality of education in this country. Critical thinking is not encourage apparently.
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

Now a moderator says I'm un/under educated. I have no critical thinking skills either. Great.

Bruce
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

BruceS wrote:Now a moderator says I'm un/under educated. I have no critical thinking skills either. Great.

Bruce
The vacuousness of your salad dressing comment spoke volumes. This latest just continues in that vein.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That makes 2 moderators!
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

natcherly wrote:
BruceS wrote:Now a moderator says I'm un/under educated. I have no critical thinking skills either. Great.

Bruce
The vacuousness of your salad dressing comment spoke volumes. This latest just continues in that vein.
Aw, hell, lets make it 3 Mods!
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Clearly I'm the one who said trademark infringement. That appears to been a poor choice. The knives sold by the slick vendor are Chinese POS and the poor copies dupe the uninformed. It is an example of doing business without ethics. The knives he sells will reflect poorly on the quality products they imitate. It further is not good business for a reputable site like Gunbroker to foster.

Old school folk with standards of ethics rightly find these copies and the people who sell them distasteful in the least. This type of thinking shouldn't have to be explained to adults.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

Are these the switchblades sold by Mammoth Man? I was following a number of his auctions. They are all penny start no reserve auctions that run up to $100 thereabouts. He very clearly worded his ads in a deceptive fashion to imply they were Italian without saying they were made in Italy.
I followed them to see what would happen as I assumed they were Asian. It is surprising to me that people bid them up to prices appropriate for made in Italy blades.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I usually stay out of horse sh*t like this but after reading the "argument" I just had to throw in my two cents- You can nit-pick this thing to death but what it really comes down to is the guy is playing on the fact there are good ole boys out there that are aware of the Italian Leverletto.
His "out" is he starts his bid super low and just sits back and watches the bids roll in.
So hey did he say it was something something? I would say mentioning the word Italian is just that. A play on words is misleading when dealing with well informed folks. By well informed I mean not everyone in the knife world knows about the Leverletto but chances are there are a lot of guys out there in Gun Broker land that are unaware of the Chinese fakes.

My take on this subject? You can roll a dog turd in sugar but it's still a dog turd.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

I've noticed that he hasn't been selling the Chinese leverletto clones lately. He does still sell other Chinese crap but not the volume he had been. Probably found another outlet for the substandard crap he sells.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I totally agree with Bill and hogwild as he is saying they are Italian not just that style. His prices are ten times the value of the product. He is clearly selling based on fraud. The blade materials are all wrong also. It seems he is still selling them a month later, so I guess GB and the seller don't care.....