Pins

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
young cutlery

Pins

Post by young cutlery »

Would 1/8th inch brass rod work for pins in a stilleto?
Hell yeah brother
ILikeStilettos

Re: Pins

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Typically they use 1 mm which is like .04, Americans use 1/16". When possible DoubleD uses 3/32", more like 2mm. I say, where possible because there's usually no problem with scale pins or pommel pins. The through pin often creates problems on a very narrow knife. For a pivot, 1/8" is typical, but we like 5/32" because it's the most critical one on the knife.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
METALGOD

Re: Pins

Post by METALGOD »

on your smaller stilettos they are 1/16" or tad bit smaller , your larger stilettos 9"-11"-13" use larger size diameter pins and the big boys 15 &18 inchers use even larger diameter pins , most handle pins are made of brass or nickel/silver , pivot pins ive seen on italian stilettos made of brass ,nickel,steel and bronze .