Bargeon Scale Repair Question.

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bigfatross

Bargeon Scale Repair Question.

Post by bigfatross »

Hi Bill and the Gang,
I was reviewing member "omega" post named: "Front Scale Repair - 23cm Walt's Latama in Black Teflon"
Omega was fixing a hair line crack, I just picked up a old Bargeon with a big crack in the scale.

Looking back on omega's post I don't think super glue will work because of the size of the crack.
I'm trying to find a two part epoxy that dries black (I like JB weld epoxy but dries gray).
Any one know of a black drying epoxy? So I can fill, sand, buff. Or any other ideas?
Thanks in advance, Ross
Attachments
Bargeon crack (1).jpg
Bargeon crack (1).jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 7027 times
john

Re: Bargeon Scale Repair Question.

Post by john »

I can't recall any black epoxy. You may be able to use wood putty. It comes in a rainbow colors. Check with your local hardware store for ideas and suggestions.
Good luck,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

BFR , this product works very well and would be darn near undetectable on your knife but gets pricey and not available retail , youll need the activator.... if you know an auto body shop can order, this can be sanded and is black.. this knife had a large portion of the handle missing and I repaired with this product ..... looks decent an held up well . good luck! If your close come on by and I`ll repair it for you over a Coke :)
Last edited by niceguy2 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Polyester casting resin dries very hard and can be polished. It can be dyed with lamp black,epoxy dyeing powders, or finely ground charcoal.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Jay and Bill,

Both great ideas!

The autobody repair material sounds easy. Your repair looks perfect. It also reminded me of my friend he repaired a few scratches on his boat with epoxy. He used an epoxy pigment to tint the epoxy. Check out West Marine or any other Marine store.

I'm wondering if I could fabricate an entire scale and checker it with my file.

Hi Bill, have you repaired scales using the method you've suggested? How did everything work out?

John
John

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have repaired many scales like I mentioned. It works pretty well.
Checkering with a single point file is an exercise in futility.
You can cast entire scales with casting resin. They will be slightly undersized.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

niceguy2 wrote:BFR , this product works very well and would be darn near undetectable on your knife but gets pricey and not available retail , youll need the activator.... if you know an auto body shop can order, this can be sanded and is black.. this knife had a large portion of the handle missing and I repaired with this product ..... looks decent an held up well . good luck! If your close come on by and I`ll repair it for you over a Coke :)
Hey niceguy2,
NICE Job on your knife, looks good! I'm familiar with some auto body adhesives /glue, I was thinking about
panel bond" two part glue,but it takes over eight hours to dry, so it might do a lot of running or oozing.

I Googled "kent black super bond kt14676" and the description said "Rubber-toughened, high-viscosity".
I can't tell from your photo, did you (can you) buff the handle/scale to a gloss finish? It looks like you kept yours
to a matte finish.
Bill DeShivs wrote:Polyester casting resin dries very hard and can be polished. It can be dyed with lamp black,epoxy dyeing powders, or finely ground charcoal.
Hi Bill,
Good idea about the dyeing powders/ground charcoal I didn't even think about mixing!

Thanks Guys for the suggestions!
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Hey Gang,
I SWEAR I did not see this when I did my search yesterday, I guess I was looking with my fingers, not my eyes :)
I will try it and let you know how it works. I will see if some one locally caries it so give me some time.

J-B Weld 50139 Plastic Bonder Body Panel Adhesive and Gap Filler Syringe - Dries Black

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50139-P ... oxy+filler
john

Post by john »

Hello BFR,
Looks like you found exactly what you need let us know how it works out.
John
John

autoknife

Post by autoknife »

This won't help with the repair, but that's not a Bargeon. Not sure who made them but have a few and never seen one with their stamp and they stamp their knives.
No, I'm not happy to see you, that's my 12cm "Red Rose" in my pocket!
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

It can be polished to a shined finish
bigfatross wrote:
niceguy2 wrote:BFR , this product works very well and would be darn near undetectable on your knife but gets pricey and not available retail , youll need the activator.... if you know an auto body shop can order, this can be sanded and is black.. this knife had a large portion of the handle missing and I repaired with this product ..... looks decent an held up well . good luck! If your close come on by and I`ll repair it for you over a Coke :)
Hey niceguy2,
NICE Job on your knife, looks good! I'm familiar with some auto body adhesives /glue, I was thinking about
panel bond" two part glue,but it takes over eight hours to dry, so it might do a lot of running or oozing.

I Googled "kent black super bond kt14676" and the description said "Rubber-toughened, high-viscosity".
I can't tell from your photo, did you (can you) buff the handle/scale to a gloss finish? It looks like you kept yours
to a matte finish.
Bill DeShivs wrote:Polyester casting resin dries very hard and can be polished. It can be dyed with lamp black,epoxy dyeing powders, or finely ground charcoal.
Hi Bill,
Good idea about the dyeing powders/ground charcoal I didn't even think about mixing!

Thanks Guys for the suggestions!
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

autoknife wrote:This won't help with the repair, but that's not a Bargeon. Not sure who made them but have a few and never seen one with their stamp and they stamp their knives.
Hey Autoknife,
Check out the post from Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:33 pm. Titled " No Name Bargeon? "
Or just copy/paste address below
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24186

This is one of those "Bargeon" type knifes. I found the post interesting.
Thanks Ross
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

Most of the French knives made by many different companies looked similar and had the utilitarian black checkered plastic scales. Bargeon stamped their knives as such, as did Begon. I'm not sure who made that particular knife, but I've seen Bargeon catalogs and that model isn't in it. Either is the lockback from the link you provided.
No, I'm not happy to see you, that's my 12cm "Red Rose" in my pocket!
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

autoknife wrote:Most of the French knives made by many different companies looked similar and had the utilitarian black checkered plastic scales. Bargeon stamped their knives as such, as did Begon. I'm not sure who made that particular knife, but I've seen Bargeon catalogs and that model isn't in it. Either is the lockback from the link you provided.
Hi autoknife,
Yup, there ain't too much info that I can find on these French knifes. I have a lot of questions on the French knifes.
I find it strange that (as far as I know) there is no more French autos being made. I think France made it illegal
to make autos? or maybe they aren't big sellers? Like I said, I have a lot of questions on the French knifes.
Ross
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Hi Gang,
I finally got around to repairing the "NO name Bargeon" using the J-B Weld 50139 Plastic Bonder Body Panel Adhesive
I filled the crack and was able to sand and buff. It came out half way decent, but if you look close the black
is not exactly the same as the scale.I cleaned it up and polished it, the brass now shines along with the blade and scales
here are a few pics.Thanks to all for there input!
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
DSCN1344.jpg
DSCN1344.jpg (176.47 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
DSCN1346.jpg
DSCN1346.jpg (136.51 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
DSCN1340.jpg
DSCN1340.jpg (178.46 KiB) Viewed 6682 times