Bargeon Scale Repair Question.

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Bargeon Scale Repair Question.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nice job! That's nickel silver, not brass, BTW.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Nice job! That's nickel silver, not brass, BTW.
Thanks Bill for your help and suggestions, Now I know what nickel silver bolsters look like. I did not realize that nickel silver
can tarnish to look like old brass. I was kind of supersized how shiny the bolsters came out after buffing, now I know why.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nickel silver is a brass alloy. Nickel is added-giving it a whiter color.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice job!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Dang, nice patch job. I'm a few months late to this thread but I had to say that.

And I agree with Autoknife, as much as this one looks like a guardless Bargeon, I am pretty sure it was made by a different French maker. It has a number of notable differences, especially those scales. The checkered plastic used on Bargeons and Begons was clearly made in that shape because you can see lines along the edges of the checkered tops and along the sides of the safety/button slots. This one looks like it was a piece of checkered material that was sanded to be that shape. I could be wrong about that but it is the impression I get from these pics.

One other thing: could I see a pic looking directly at the backspring side? I am curious if this one has the solid backspring with the seperate lock piece off to the side (like on a Bargeon) or a lock like on a typical Italian manual or swinger.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Outstanding job on the repair and cleanup!
2024 candidate for president
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

JimBrown257 wrote:Dang, nice patch job. I'm a few months late to this thread but I had to say that.

And I agree with Autoknife, as much as this one looks like a guardless Bargeon, I am pretty sure it was made by a different French maker. It has a number of notable differences, especially those scales. The checkered plastic used on Bargeons and Begons was clearly made in that shape because you can see lines along the edges of the checkered tops and along the sides of the safety/button slots. This one looks like it was a piece of checkered material that was sanded to be that shape. I could be wrong about that but it is the impression I get from these pics.

One other thing: could I see a pic looking directly at the backspring side? I am curious if this one has the solid backspring with the seperate lock piece off to the side (like on a Bargeon) or a lock like on a typical Italian manual or swinger.
Hi Jeremy,
I will have to dig it out and take a photo for you. But I don't want to keep you in suspense, it is like on a typical Italian manual or swinger. I don't know a lot about the French knifes, I'm pretty sure you know about members "Sunny" and "Lance" and "Autoknife" they are very knowledgeable about the French blades then I.
Hope this helps, thanks
Ross
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

This is the lock release on a regular Bargeon. Notice how it is a separate piece that is under the back scale. I don't think I've seen this on anything but a Bargeon.

You're saying your mystery French knife does not have this separate piece lock?
Attachments
309_006.jpg
309_006.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Only the larger Bargeons have the back lock. The smaller models are BO/BC.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I saw a listing for these on Blade Play, and I was surprised as I thought they were no longer made?? are they still in production?
jonkoman

Post by jonkoman »

Tom19176 wrote:I saw a listing for these on Blade Play, and I was surprised as I thought they were no longer made?? are they still in production?
I was also wondering this. I am very interested in a black scaled medium or large sized Bargeon.