Front Scale Repair

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
omega

Front Scale Repair

Post by omega »

I'm concerned about the crack growing in the future and want to arrest/prevent that. This piece is rather rare and I've never heard of or seen another one on the market since I bought this knife new. I'd like to keep it 100% original and avoid having the top scale removed, as it seems likely that removal would stress the crack further.
Last edited by omega on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Front Scale Repair - 23cm Walt's Latama in Black Teflon

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, I do all his work!
You probably need to do nothing-however, gluing it with super glue is not a bad idea.
Soak the crack with rubbing alcohol, and blot it with paper towel. Do this several times to remove any oil in the crack. Wait several hours to make sure it's dry.
Then carefully apply the glue. The glue will be visible unless you sand and polish the area.
If you aren't comfortable doing this, you can send it to me.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
omega

Post by omega »

Hi Bill!

Absolutely, I'll try it! Anything to keep from subjecting this one to postal loss, seizure, postal-workers-with-sticky-fingers or the other horrible things that always seem to happen to "favorite-knives-in-transit." Can ya just feel the love I have for USPS, LOL?

They've got some gel-type superglue out now - saw it at Home Depot (that place where we all buy the crap to fix our knives). Seems like that stuff would be better than the usual runny/watery stuff in the tiny tubes that always dry out long before they're empty.

I thinking that the worst that can happen is that I STILL end up having to send it off to BD's-Land for re-scaling. Either way, I'll post the results here when I'm done.

Many thanks!

Chris
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Anxious to see how it turns out.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No- use thin super glue.
Put a drop on a piece of plastic. Use a toothpick to apply the glue just to the crack. Let it wick in.
You may have to do it several times to fill the crack.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
omega

Post by omega »

Thanks Bill! You saved me from making a mess, LOL!
omega

Post by omega »

Well, filling that crack with superglue turned out to be the way to go, at least with this one.

Took 2 applications and had to trowel it in with a straight-edge. Some minor residue remained on the scale's edge which was removed with steel wool and a light buff.

The crack is invisible to the naked eye now. We'll see how this repair ages, so back to the case it goes. :P
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Glad to hear it and with luck it will hold!
2024 candidate for president