Why do Picklock autos cost more than bolster release knives?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Why do Picklock autos cost more than bolster release knives?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

When the picklock pattern of the Italian autos began to be "phased out" (from 1960, forward) the bolster release knives and lock back versions began to take their place. Today, the Italian picklock seems to command a premium price.

Why on earth has this come to pass? :?:
Fishtail Picklock
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Why do Picklock autos cost more than bolster release knives?

Post by natcherly »

Because they can! This subject has been covered before in other threads. You might do a search to find them.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

In my opinion it is the "nostalgic" aspect and the other reason is most pick locks have nickel bolsters (usually soldered) whereas most swivel bolsters are stamped stainless. Although there is a little extra work involved I don't feel they should cost twice as much.
I will say this- Pick locks have a much more solid feel than a swivel.

I only have two maybe three in my collection. Love to have an 11" black/white horn with nickel bolsters.(white top/black bottom) Sounds racist :lol:
In fact I may see if I can locate some white horn and have Ron or Bill slap it together. Black horn is abundant,white not so much.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

What a shame! I prefer a picklock over the swivel bolster any time... and I mean, ANY TIME!
Fishtail Picklock
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Viking45 wrote:...most pick locks have nickel bolsters (usually soldered) whereas most swivel bolsters are stamped stainless...
The reason I got from Frank B is that NS is too soft as a lever and would wear prematurely. Stainless, not an issue.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Is one better than the other? Matter of preference I think.
Although I only have a few pick locks in my collection I think there is "something" about them I really like
Long live the pick lock! 8)

Fact is Mr. Fishtail, I just realized I have more than I thought,I forgot about the AGA Campolin fishtails picks.
Old picture,the 15" AGA was sold and sadly I sold the Russian Ladya's too. Should have kept one.
Attachments
0dscn0018b.jpg
0dscn0018b.jpg (397.33 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

The Campolin's are still readily available. When I have a knife customized, I typically replace the stamped stainless with solid nickel silver, either with or without ears. Mostly, even with the smaller tabs these work fine as picklocks. The factory NS are still stamped 99% of the time, and there are a few factory pieces with sterling.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
DonC

Post by DonC »

Just my opinion but I think the introduction of the one piece spring might have had some bearing on the increased use of the swivel bolster. With a one piece spring both the kicker and back spring would be tempered to the same "stiffness" resulting in the picklock design being more difficult to release. With a 2 piece spring the backspring can be tempered to be more forgiving of the thumb.
DonC
Rave

Post by Rave »

DonC,now that makes sense,good thinking! :wink: