Repair Question - AGA Maltese - FIXED!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bigfatross

Re: Repair Question - AGA Maltese - FIXED!

Post by bigfatross »

omega wrote:
john wrote:Im glad it opened without taking any drastic measures. The original lubricant must have dried out and solidified. I still haven't checked mine out, but now I know what to try first.
I like a happy ending.
Yep! Exactly what appears to have happened. When I was done giving them all the Naphtha douche, I looked at the solution - it was all cloudy (normally clear) with lots of particulate matter suspended. The knives had definitely gotten crudded up with something. Since I rarely use lubricants, it pretty much has to be either the factory stuff or something that someone else introduced before I bought them. When I do use lubes, its either Safariland CPL or Militec-1. I discovered that KY-Liquid and Astroglide are too thick

The naphtha is available at Home Depot for $7.00 (USD) per quart - cheaper than Ronson Lighter Fluid and its the same thing, just packaged differently. Sold as VM&P Naphtha for use in thinning varnishes. WARNING: Naphtha vaporizes quickly when exposed to air - lots of ventilation required and for Christ's sake, NO OPEN FLAMES - unless you want to look like Wiley Coyote after the crate of Acme Dynamite explodes. Dispose of saturated paper towels and rags properly too.

Just of enough time left to ventilate the house before the wife arrives home and accuses me of running a meth lab or something due to the chemical smell.

:mrgreen:
Hey Chris,
Thanks for the info on the Naphtha. I always thought Naphtha was pretty aggressive solvent, did the Brazilian horn still look OK no haze or any thing like that?
Did you ever try Naphtha on a plastic scales, I wounder if it would leave a haze on plastic, or melt it?

I have had pretty good luck with cleaning with WD 40. Spray out the whole knife, opining it, and standing it on end (vertical- blade down) over night so any crap runs down the blade. Then wipe it down good and use "pipe cleaners" to get in all the nooks and cranny's.
And then lube it with your favorite lube.

I only do this if I buy a used knife that is dirty or is sticking. I have read on some sites that WD 40 is the worst thing for a knife. I hope I don't regret
doing this, and in another 10 years find that the scales have fallen of my knifes :oops:

This would be a good topic.... "what solvent do you use to clean your knife?
Thanks
Ross
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Please allow the peanut gallery to chime in with a big fat thank you. I'd heard about Ronson lighter fluid from a friend, and that there was something more cost-effective at Home Depot, but didn't knowing what to ask for. Glad the fix worked and I know I have a few knives needing baths and then some Quick Release. Now I have the details and a plan.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
omega

Post by omega »

bigfatross: I've not had any changes in the horn and stag scales that I can detect. Prior experience with Naphtha and plastic scales is lacking, so I can't say much about that. I first used Naphtha back in the 70's for something different and stored it in a plastic container back then. It didn't eat the plastic the way that carbon-tet or tri-chlor did. Tri-chlor was awful about eating plastics and had to be kept in a metal can.

Some plastics are susceptible whereas others are not. There's a coding on plastic containers and I suppose if you knew those codes, you could sort it out.
omega

Post by omega »

ILikeStilettos wrote:Please allow the peanut gallery to chime in with a big fat thank you. I'd heard about Ronson lighter fluid from a friend, and that there was something more cost-effective at Home Depot, but didn't knowing what to ask for. Glad the fix worked and I know I have a few knives needing baths and then some Quick Release. Now I have the details and a plan.
Have fun Dave! Just remember that spontaneous combustion is a very real hazard when working with Naphtha. It is also sold generically under the name "white gas," - as camp stove and lantern fuel, although I wouldn't recommend using Coleman fuel, as there could well be other additives present to enhance flammability.

BTW, it took two solid days of venting before the fumes were no longer noticeable. The wife LOVED that and I continued to get my ass chewed about it for at least a week. :mrgreen:
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

omega wrote:
ILikeStilettos wrote:Please allow the peanut gallery to chime in with a big fat thank you. I'd heard about Ronson lighter fluid from a friend, and that there was something more cost-effective at Home Depot, but didn't knowing what to ask for. Glad the fix worked and I know I have a few knives needing baths and then some Quick Release. Now I have the details and a plan.
Have fun Dave! Just remember that spontaneous combustion is a very real hazard when working with Naphtha. It is also sold generically under the name "white gas," - as camp stove and lantern fuel, although I wouldn't recommend using Coleman fuel, as there could well be other additives present to enhance flammability.

BTW, it took two solid days of venting before the fumes were no longer noticeable. The wife LOVED that and I continued to get my ass chewed about it for at least a week. :mrgreen:
Mine had a knee replacement a week ago Friday and I have been playing nurse - needless to say I cannot do any forking thing to her standards.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
omega

Post by omega »

ILikeStilettos wrote:[Mine had a knee replacement a week ago Friday and I have been playing nurse - needless to say I cannot do any forking thing to her standards.
HaHa! Sounds like time to up her pain meds! :mrgreen:
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Hey Chris,
I came back to your post, time for a "bath'" for one I just found.
How long do you soak em for, overnight, a few hours ?
Thanks in advance!
Ross
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

omega wrote:
ILikeStilettos wrote: BTW, it took two solid days of venting before the fumes were no longer noticeable. The wife LOVED that and I continued to get my ass chewed about it for at least a week. :mrgreen:
Hey I forgot, I think your wife might be my long lost sister in law (my wife's sister), My wife can small a gnat fart a mile a way :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mineral spirits is generally safe on knives.
WD 40 works well, too. I use both in my shop.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
omega

Post by omega »

bigfatross wrote:Hey Chris,
I came back to your post, time for a "bath'" for one I just found.
How long do you soak em for, overnight, a few hours ?
Thanks in advance!
Ross
Hey Ross! Sorry for the late reply.

Soak time varies depending on how much gunk and particulate matter dislodges and clouds the naptha bath.

For mine, I give em a couple of hours, then go over them with a toothebrush. Follow that with another soak. Lather, rinse, repeat until you quit seeing crap in the solution. Then air-dry, relube, buff and store.

Have fun!
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

We use Naphtha every day at work as a cleaning agent. It is actually very mild in comparison to Acetone or M.E.K.