Spring question

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Re: Spring question

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Ian

The ones with the slots are definitely BOBC, though sometimes that system uses dual round or square holes. What is commonly called a "square button" is actually a "plunge release system". This means that the button has no lever at all; it's spring loaded and sits on top of a shaft so that when you push the button the shaft moves across the blade. In these cases, the blade has a slot completely through the tang to the edge, rather than a shallow or through hole that doesn't reach the edge. The shaft is narrowed on the button side. When the knife is closed and locked the thick part of the shaft acts like a sear from the back side of the blade. When you fire it, the narrow part of the shaft slips out of the slot. In some cases, this is only for firing the knife, there's a second mechanism to lock it (like a classic tab lock or other means). On cheapo knives you often see this mechanism serving a dual function. The thick part of the shaft locks into the heel of the tang in the open position. Thus, this is a BOBC knife, but totally different from a rocker knife, like yours. These knives are commonly coil spring operated, rather than a leaf spring.

PS Every time I see your name in print it gives me a twinge, because of recently losing my good friend, Ian "Killbucket" Bivens. Welome to the hobby. I hope that you enjoy yourself and please excuse my reactions - not your fault at all.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
john

Post by john »

Hi Don,
Excellent photos and explanation :!: (we need more smileys, emojis) I was going to post something similar to what you did. The photos and narrative make it easy to see and understand. I couldn't have done a better job.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
john

Post by john »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
PS Every time I see your name in print it gives me a twinge, because of recently losing my good friend, Ian "Killbucket" Bivens. Welome to the hobby. I hope that you enjoy yourself and please excuse my reactions - not your fault at all.

Hi Dave,
I said to myself, we lost Ian aka Killbucket and in walks another Ian. Coincidence or what? It was kind of erie.

Ian, I forgot to say: Hello and Welcome to the forum. I hope to see you posting your knives and helping to answer your questions.

John
John

john

Post by john »

Hi Terry,
I missed the slot indicating a BO/BC. I too like the BO/BC over the swivel bolster.
John
John

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave, I am so sorry to hear of your loss, i have seen the name many times on here, and out of respect I'll sign Gravknife from now on.
Im so glad you posted, I respect your knowledge and experience, and the lovely knives you post on this forum.
Thanks for the explanation.....it was the slot that drew me in to this knife, as it was different to my others, then the backspring put me off, so I asked here. The knife is only 10 cm, the blade is fine, I'm trying to get it as a different type of mechanism now, as before it was the swedge, the nickel and the fat backspring, aswell as the strange slot that caught my eye. It would be my oldest knife,and within my budget, it's 75 dollars... Is that too much?
Please keep in touch and I'd be grateful of any help /advice in future.
This goes to all who have so kindly helped since I joined and who have kindly commented and posted pictures here.
Regards and thanks

Gravknife
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Hello John
Thanks for posting my freind, always glad to hear from you, and I'm shocked about the freind you all lost.
I love coming on here for advice and a drool, :)so keep advising and glad to know you.
Regards
Gravknife
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Don C
What is the large wasp bodied knife on the group you posted,and are some of your knives gold plated?They appear gold on my screen,A lovely group of knives.
Thanks again for posting these here.
Gravknife.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Ian: I for one have no problem with you using your name on your posts. When I see it it brings back the good memories of Killbucket and the good by far outweigh the bad. The bad will almost always fade to insignificance compared to the good.
The large (13") bodied wasp in the photo is a Renzo Pascotto and is numbered 6 of 6. As you become more submersed in the Italian Stiletto genre you'll probably become more familiar with his name and the rather striking pieces he produces. Renzo presents knives of his own design and build and also builds for AGA Campolin,. The knives with his personal tang stamp are held in high regard by the "community" and sought after by several collectors. Dave has a great collection of them and I sneak it the back door to pick them up when I can.

Here are a couple that I've got photos of and been fortunate enough to acquire.

33CM 2015 Flat Guard Wasp

35CM Frosolone

28CM Reproduction of a lat 1800's Prioleta

33CM Wasp with heart shaped button and lock tab.

33CM Flat Guard Wasp made by Renzo and sold by Walt Halucha.

DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Ian: please do sign Ian, or Gravknife, either is fine. As John pointed out, one door closes, another opens. If KB were still around, he'd be pleased to know you and encourage your interest and ever expanding knowledge. Now that you're speaking to John (whom I speak to on the phone, but have never met) and Don, whom I have (the PTSD from the experience is healing), you are getting to know a couple of the really good ones. There are tons of wonderful people here, too many to mention one-by-one, these two being exemplary, because they even accept me.

I have more Renzo's than Don, John has more than both of us combined. Don probably has the biggest collection of 13" wasp and non-wasp flat guards, all built by Renzo Pascutto, just not signed with his personal logo.

My signature block includes my contact information, because I want everyone to feel comfortable to reach out to me at any time. Again, welcome! And keep posting, that's what keeps the forums active and interesting.

BTW the knives in my avatar are a KB restored Rosco, a Pat Havlin custom, and a Jerry Sizemore swinger, all 13's.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Absolutely beautiful Don
Thanks for showing these I can't believe what quality is lying there.
The 35 cm froselone is my favourite ,it must be unbelievable in hand and its just a beauty.
The others are some I've dreamed of this past month after seeing Bills Walt's Latama,i wanted one but with a wasp body,like the bottom example in blond horn.
The heart shaped button example ive never seen before ,its just sheer excellence, im still looking as i write and my favourite changes with each look,a lot to take in.
The prioletta is a knife I learned of after seeing Dave's Pat Havlin knife,one of the best looking knives I've ever seen in every category of knife I have ever studied,and your example is a stunner,I'd love to buy one if they ever become available.
How do you pick a favourite with knives like these ,they are just art in my eyes ,I'll be looking back at these constantly and its given me something to chase in time.and aspire to..
Again thanks for the posting of these Don.

All the best
Gravknife.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave
How do I get into the avatar?
I'd be grateful in any way for help purchasing something along the lines of Dons flatguards,Or a p rioletta sardinian switch,I'd never be able to afford a Pat Havlin like yours ,but would love any prioletta,i love that knife you posted and keep going back to it.
How do you even start to put an order in for something like that off Pat?
Thanks for writing these posts ,I've felt welcomed from the start but I'm made up with this post,its given me some great advice and some good friends with knives I can only ever dream of owning,its given me a switchblade boost..
Please stay in touch all of you.

Gravlnife
DonC

Post by DonC »

Thanks for the compliment. About 80% of my collection have been purchased from the SD Auction site. Keep an eye on what's coming up for bid. It takes a little time but there are some very nice pieces that come across the block. Just takes some perseverance.
Picking a favorite is easy. It's whichever one I'm holding at the moment. );-)
DonC
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks for Pm Don
Love that heart button knife more every time I look.
I'm like a woman picking clothes, can't make my mind up which is best.:)
Take care
Gravknife