Spring question

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Spring question

Post by gravknife »

bill are there any backspring on switches that have no locking hole?
I have seen one marked Rostfrei patent, but the omission of a circle with locking hole in it ate worrying me.
Have you seen italian switches with straight backsprings.
Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question.
Regards Ian
john

Re: Spring question

Post by john »

I'm guessing and with confidence that Bill has seen it all. He may have an example. I hope he can tell us more about the makers and tang stamps of this style of locking mechanism.

I can recall seeing a lock tab where the hole wasn't drilled all the way through. The locking post on the knife fit into the tab's locking hole, but could not be seen from the top. I wish I had copied the photo.

Ian, Can you post a photo?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

There is no locking hole or tab John,the spring is just straight as on a lock knife.
I'm assuming theirs a locking tab on its underside.
I'm trying to save the image,but my phone is mistyping and predicting letters.
I have searched for similar but to no avail.
Thanks John.
Regards Ian
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Took these of my ipad.
Hope you can see what I'm talking about.
Apologies for pictures, but these are the best I can get.
Ian
Attachments
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg (359.74 KiB) Viewed 7841 times
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg (327.75 KiB) Viewed 7841 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

That is a button open/close. Instead of a swivel bolster or pick lock to lift a tab you just push the button to close the knife.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks whippersnapper, so it looks okay?
I've never seen a spring without the locking tabs, or without a circle.
Also the spring seems high from the bolsterms and there are no pictures of it fully open.
Thanks for looking for me.
Ian
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Kinda like the stilettos that had the bolster release to fire. I used to have one but I can't remember who I sold it to.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
john

Post by john »

It's a lock back style knife. No Lock Tab as found on the classic Italian stiletto.

Lock Tab as found on the classic Italian stiletto

John

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Beautiful knife John.
Thanks, as usual.
The picture looked strange, and the spring somehow damaged. :oops: I'd like a picklock as an example, and it's a swedge blade marked Patent in large capitals.
Take care my friend.
Ian
john

Post by john »

Hello Ian,

The top three are a Frank Beltrame swing guard buffalo horn Lmt. Ed. 28 cm

The fourth or bottom photo is a Frank Beltrame 5mm blade and spring, 23 cm Lmt. Ed. solid nickel silver bolsters.

John
John

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

john wrote:It's a lock back style knife. No Lock Tab as found on the classic Italian stiletto.
No John, I'm pretty sure judging by the pictures of the slot in the tang it is a button open/close. A lockback still usually has a round hole in the tang for the seer.

Here is a button open/close stiletto...These work the same as most of the old American autos. (Like the Presto mentioned the other day).

The button open/close knives are my favorite Italian stiletto type of knife.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

sammy da blade wrote:Kinda like the stilettos that had the bolster release to fire. I used to have one but I can't remember who I sold it to.
The bolster open knives still have a lock tab but don't have the seer hole in the blade...

Instead of a button these open by pushing down on the bolster like this...
.Image
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Beautiful knives whippersnapper.
That stag is lovely, and is the type I believe I posted earlier.
The one I'm looking at buying has the large slot cut in the blade like that, and the same backspring.
Thanks for posting these knives, John and whippersnapper they have all helped and great to look at. :)
The bolster blade release is the first I've seen as well, there's a lot to learn.
Thanks for posting these.
Regards Ian
DonC

Post by DonC »

Ian:
The Bolster Release knives aren't too common but they're out there. Kind of odd to see a switchblade without a button though.
Here's a group of five along with a couple of Button Open/Button Close and a pair of LockBacks.
The first two of the Bolster Release were customized by some guy in Boston who does a really great job when he isn't out shoveling snow (you're more than just a pretty face John). Then a pair of stock wood scales and a stag which was the only one of the BR's in stag that I'd seen.
The next two are BO/BC. The first one is an 11" just marked Patent on the tang and the big one is a Renzo Pascotto 13" Wasp. Both of them have variations of the back spring you were describing.
The last two are an AGA Maltese and a Frank Beltrame Sing Guard which are both Lock Backs where the back spring engages a notch on the back of the blade.

The mechanism for the Bolster Release have two pins on the blade instead of the usual one. The pin that's visible when the knife is open engages the lock tab when the knife is closed and swiveling the bolster releases the blade.

The BO/BC knives commonly use the deep grove in the tang to lock them open. The spring rests on the back of the tang when open and limits the blade travel when it's opened.

The Lock Back mechanism uses a tab on the blade side of the spring to engage a notch in the back of the blade.

DonC
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks Don
That is one sweet collection of knives absolute beauties.
I really like these no button switches, there is something aesthetically pleasing about seeing the natural scale unbroken.
Thanks for posting these beautiful knives, they look great together.
The swingguard knives are stunning but I can't buy everything all at once.
I will meet them hopefully along the way.
Thanks for the help, I mean that, only been collecting 3 months.
Regards Ian