Backsspring and blade

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Backsspring and blade

Post by gravknife »

If the blade rocks on the backspring when on open Bill, but tightens when backspring is held with thumb, does the blade or backspring need altering?
There is about 1mm of backspring not flush with the liners, it's raised.
I know you will have covered this and apologies in advance, just want to be sure.
It,s as if there is uneven metal on one or both causing this, and the blade needs to go further to stop banana blade.
What's best. Save my life again.
Thanks in advance. Ian
PS When are you moving to England
:)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Backsspring and blade

Post by Bill DeShivs »

On a stiletto?
Without seeing it, I can't say for sure but- I would say the backspring needs to be bent.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Sorry Bill rushing as usual.... It's on a hubie, it's as if the blade steel and spring steel need leveling to meet flush,, and allow the backspring to drop into place, bit scared of removing steel from the wrong one but slight thumb pressure on the spring locks it up better,will light removal of steel fix this
Thanks Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Wow! I can't say without having it in hand. Sounds like the backspring may be sprung.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

It seems strong Bill, it snaps the lever back forcefully on closing,the blade pin is filed flush at present. Can this cause movement, I'm replacing it on Wednesday, I'll have to look, the mainspring has to seat flush with the liners doesn't it?
This movement only occurred when filing the blade pin flat to clean file marks around it, but I didn't think it would affect it. The blades right up against the top liner, in a mess really.
Regards Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Lever spring: causes the lever to function.
Lever spring cover: keeps the lever from flopping around.
Backspring: gives resistance to the blade in open position.
Kickspring: powers the blade out of the handle.

I don't know what you are calling the "mainspring."

The lever, lever spring/cover have nothing to do with the backspring.
Filing the pin has nothing to do with the backspring.
If the kickspring has moved forward out of it's slot, it can bend the backspring upon closing. Usually, it raises the backspring in the "closed" position. If the spring has moved and bent the backspring, and the kickspring has then been re-seated, it will leave the backspring sprung.

Please post a picture.
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Bill, can a sprung backspring be fixed or does it have to be replaced?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You should be able to bend it back.
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

I have a cool little tang stamped Hubie liliput with a broken spring that I would like to have fixed. The backspring sticks out a bit when closed is why I was asking. Are you swamped?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Send it to me.
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Will do. Thanks Bill.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Sorry for not getting back Bill, how do you bend a spring?
Is heat needed, or can it be done by pressure or hammer, I know that you are right,the kickspring had unseated, didn't realise it.
What's the best way of knowing it's correctly and fully inserted? How also do you know the spring has full tension before refitting into the knife.
Thanks for this in advance, I'm worried now.
Regards Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The spring can be bent cold, but it will have to be out of the knife to do it. You must also make sure the spring is not cracked at the center pin hole.
Kicksprings are fully inserted when you can't get them any deeper! All you can do is guess.
This is why I make and fit custom Hubertus springs. Mine don't come out.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Any tips on where to bend front, middle or rear, whats best to use Bill, hammer and vice,I've never bent a spring in my life and don't want to snap it,or make it worse.
Can I secure the kickspring in any fashion to prevent slipping again.
Thanks Bill.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The most probable location to bend is where the backspring thins down in front of the backspring pin. Clamp it in a vise and give it a tug by hand.
Sometimes you can stake Hubertus springs in place with a center punch.