Backsspring and blade

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Re: Backsspring and blade

Post by gravknife »

Will give it a try next week Bill, thanks for all your help, I'll let you know what happens,got no knife repairers here.
Ian.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Is this staking process done while the spring is still in place?
Or is it better to bend by hand, I suppose the staking process let's you know it's worked, but can this put pressure on the spring rivet pin.
Complicated these knives, I can begin to really appreciate their build, thanks Bill,I mean that you have helped a lot.
Regards Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You misunderstand. "Staling" the kickspring involves using a sharp punch to move metal on the kickspring and it's slot in the backspring.
You displace metal to make it impossible for the kickspring to slip forward.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.