Removal of blade pin

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Removal of blade pin

Post by gravknife »

Is removal of the blade pin a bad idea.... I can't file my bolsters flush without removing it, any tips really welcomed, I'm in a bit of trouble :oops:
Thanks Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Removal of blade pin

Post by Bill DeShivs »

On what knife?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Hubertus shellpuller Bill, I'm trying to create a shellpuller like yours, I'm using a needle file and the pin is in the way, to make things worse it was a short pin to begin with the majority on the leverside.
I was hoping to tap it through when finished but this lifts the blade.
What are they made of Bill? Is it just mild steel, I can't get a regular curvature on the bolsters as the pin obstructs the file, it's almost flattened the pin, but it still works.... For now, heads battered with it.
Thanks. Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The pin is mild steel. A common nail turned to EXACT size (you can use a drill and a file) will work fine.
If you remove the blade pin, you will have to do some fancy jigging with a vise and a spacer to reinstall the blade-so that you overcome the backspring pressure. You can remove the rear bolster pin-it's easier to reinstall against the spring pressure.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.