From Stamp To Etch

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

From Stamp To Etch

Post by Viking45 »

Bill I spoke with Henning Ritter many years ago and he told me when Hubertus went from tang stamps to the blade etch. I have long since lost those e-mails.
I know it wasn't all knives at once but I think it was a pretty sudden change for the folders. Any idea what year(s) they changed?

Many of the pre 64 Puma knives had an etch instead of a stamp.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: From Stamp To Etch

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sorry, I don't know. It was before 1980, I believe.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I agree,there were some Hubertus knives with the etching and some with the stamp during the early 80's.
I feel this is a significant issue for the forum and hope to shed some light on the subject.
It was early 2000's when I spoke with Henning,wish I would have kept those e-mails.
My query was about the fixed blade knives but he told me about the stamps in general in his reply.

Like to know more about this subject.

Fixed blade knives were the first to go etched,the folders had one or the other for two decades before changing all the way...(I think)
Love to hear from other members on this.

Just for the sake of saying- I feel Puma Knives are the epitome of the knife world. No other knife company has a detailed history like Puma(1760's)
There are many knife brands but none live up to the Puma name.
Like WWII itself Puma has an enormous variety with many knives produced only a year or two and in some cases a limited number in a few months.
Some not so desirable such as "skinning" knives with less than 20 made. However they are are some of the most sought after in the Puma world.

Still hope to find a nice Medici some day.
One question Bill- Who made the Puma lever switchblade? (you have answered this a million times but this is for the forum's info bank)
Was it Bonsa? CCC?
There was a Puma knife with a clear and precise "Puma" head tang stamp. I know it was made by someone else but enlighten us with your knowledge.

(in no way am I being a smart-*ss Bill,I just want it to be recent/updated bit of knowledge)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Bonsa made some of the earlier Puma leverlocks. It's possible there was another maker also. The new Puma leverlocks are made by Hubertus.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Cool,I was thinking Bonsa more than any other maker. Fact is there were some "Springers" with the Puma stamp regardless of who made them they were Puma knives.
Love the Medici's too.
A dream knife it would be a pre 64 Medici customized into a switch. Yeah the knife world would crumble but I would have the coolest knife on the planet...and you made it. 8)

Now that I have said this watch someone make it happen. :idea:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have one of the Puma LLs, and a Medici.
I'm not interested in converting a vintage knife to automatic. But, thanks for the compliment!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I know what you're saying Bill,people collect knives and they sit in a display for a lifetime,they kick the bucket,the kids inherit the collection,sell it on ebay and buy a new suv.
We all have things that are dear to us and hate to see it altered from it's original state.
A good example is when I see a 33 Ford butchered and painted lime green I want to kick the guy's *ss.
Knives are not that sacred to me,don't get me wrong I would hate to see one of those (not sure what it's called) big vintage Schrade or Case switchblades messed with in any way but a Puma Medici auto would be cool. In my mind it should have been a switchblade to begin with.
It's like having a Corvette body with a 4 cylinder.

The Medici had various bolster stamps,this is a pre 60-
Attachments
Medici_3.jpg
Medici_3.jpg (44.19 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
Medici (1).jpg
Medici (1).jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 5659 times