Puma Prince

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Puma Prince

Post by Viking45 »

Not really doing Bill a lot of justice here(poor photography) but I asked him to do a non auto custom job.
Bought a German made Puma Prince about a decade ago or so and most Puma knives come with nice stag but mine had kinda ugly scales.
I wanted green pick bone and Bill said no prob and not only rescaled it,he put(at my request) a nickel bail through the lanyard hole and "coined" the lock tab. It's much prettier in person.
I have been offered 250 bucks for this knife and I turned it down.
Attachments
Prince01.JPG
Prince01.JPG (419.39 KiB) Viewed 9158 times
Prince02.JPG
Prince02.JPG (359.49 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
daddyloko

Re: Puma Prince

Post by daddyloko »

Absolutely hang on to that Baby. That's a very beautiful knife.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thanks, Viking45!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Thanks, Viking45!

Bill I haven't bought any new knives in years so I just repost my older pics.
Your work deserves a second look,we have lots of new members that may not seen this.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I know this is late but just had to comment on this knife Viking.
Those scales are stunning and the shape just flows through effortlessly.
Ive always liked these but these scales sure beat any stag pumas I have seen.I love !he bail aswell itgives a nice look to it and makes yours different and unique.
Ive,been looking at these for a long time but not seen one as nice looking as this.
Great work Bill ,id love a hubie with these scales ,or any automatic.
Gravknife
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks Gravknife. This knife has to be seen in person to be truly appreciated.
I used a jeweler's loupe trying to find a flaw or imperfection. Results were negative. The knife had been stored for a few years and the brass had lots of green on it when I sent it to Bill.

Ian have you seen this one? Everyone else is sick of seeing it as I have brought it up a dozen times since I got it back from Bill.
In fact Bill is probably sick of seeing it :lol:

http://talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22721
john

Post by john »

Hi Dave,

It's a wicked beautiful knife. The clip point blade is so awesome! Overall, it's an A+!

John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Viking
Love that hubertus
That's nice restoration mixed with a good knowleadgable eye for a working knife.
The wood is stunning and I love the blade shape ,a great edc knife.
How great is that tang stamp,wish they still did this but at the moment there struggling with the etch.
Thanks for the link mate ,remember I've not seen everything,I'm on here a lot browsing but always appreciate a great knife ,switch or otherwise so links are always welcome.
All the best
Gravknife
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

john wrote:Hi Dave,

It's a wicked beautiful knife. The clip point blade is so awesome! Overall, it's an A+!

John
Thanks John. Bill is a master and you know this by your Scallup Leverletto.
Post some pics here,I can't get enough of custom stuff.
gravknife wrote:Viking
Love that hubertus
That's nice restoration mixed with a good knowleadgable eye for a working knife.
The wood is stunning and I love the blade shape ,a great edc knife.
How great is that tang stamp,wish they still did this but at the moment there struggling with the etch.
Thanks for the link mate ,remember I've not seen everything,I'm on here a lot browsing but always appreciate a great knife ,switch or otherwise so links are always welcome.
All the best
Gravknife
Cool thing about Bill he is known world-wide for his restorations and expertise on vintage stilettos but he told me he kind of enjoyed this non auto upgrade.
AMDAZ

Post by AMDAZ »

Great Looking knife! What will a knife of.this quality set me back at the next gun +knife show .Coming up soon in fall 2016. See some puma prince on ebay hundreds$$ for them. Are they still made? :D AMDAZ
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

AMDAZ wrote:Great Looking knife! What will a knife of.this quality set me back at the next gun +knife show .Coming up soon in fall 2016. See some puma prince on ebay hundreds$$ for them. Are they still made? :D AMDAZ
Mr. AMDAZ- I do not wish to boast here but this is a one of a kind Prince.
The Puma Prince only comes with stag scales and always premium quality stag. Mine however came with sub-par stag and was bought around 2001/02.
Years later I met Bill and simply said "Do your thing" and Bingo. Killer green pickbone scales and I am a huge fan of "domed" pins. By this I prefer the brass pins to have a rounded top as opposed to being flush with the scale material.

I also asked Bill to put a nickel bail in the lanyard hole and "coin" the lock to match the back of the blade like the vintage Puma lock backs.
Puma knives are known for their liquid smooth open/close action but this knife sets a new standard.
It is engraved with Bill's name/date inside and his name at the base of the knife.

My original idea was to make this an every day carry but Bill went above and beyond duty and now it's on display.
I consider this knife not just a display but it is going in my "bug-out" bag as a true "user" not just a pretty knife. Bill knew it was going to be used when he customized it for me. That exquisite sound it makes when it closes...only true Puma connoisseurs know what I am talking about.

Thanks again Bill.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thank you, Viking!
I enjoy doing different knife work.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
AMDAZ

Post by AMDAZ »

Thanks /You could see not a every day peice.A real gem. AMDAZ
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Stunning!
2024 candidate for president