Overdone

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Overdone

Post by Viking45 »

99% of the time I get a knife and within just a few minutes I figure out all it's little quirks and blemishes but somehow I overlooked something that is clearly obvious.
It's a 5mm Frank Cat stamp/dagger with SS bolsters and some of the most gorgeous streaking in the black scales.
The "chevron" streaks are almost perfectly centered on the front and the back (this sounds weird) but when you look closely it forms a little "eye" what looks like a painting or photograph of a planet with rings like Saturn. (No I haven't smoked weed in ages) :lol:

But anyway Bill,I was so intrigued with the fat spring/blade and scales I just never really looked past that. I stored it for the last several years and today decided to take it out and play with it and noticed it has a (not sure what we call it) not a banana but a reverse banana as in it opens a little too far.
Super nice solid lock up but she goes a little too far.
If it were the other way around I have no problem running a file over the bottom of the blade but this is something beyond my capacity.

Can you fix this issue?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Overdone

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sometimes!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Just for the sake of conversation what can be done in this case?
I'm no mangler but it's obviously a more complex "fix" then a basic banana.

This is one of my nicer Italian stilettos and would like it to be right but as it is I'm not loosing any sleep over it.
If it could be repaired without a major overhaul I would send it to you but again not a real big deal.

I am more disappointed that I didn't see it a long time ago. I would have still kept it though.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I usually lengthen the backspring (literally.)
Sometimes the tang of the blade or locking pin. Sometimes the locking tab.
It just depends on the knife. Usually, it involves a hammer!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.