Polishing blades: bead-blast or black-coated?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
fulloflead

Polishing blades: bead-blast or black-coated?

Post by fulloflead »

I've had some good luck polishing bead-blast blades to a good satin+ finish but it was considerable work.

Is it easier or harder to polish blades that have a black coating to the same finish? (Taking off the coating and polishing to satin.)

I'd think that the coatings would be deeper but softer while the BB blades would be more shallow but harder.

What do you think?

If nobody has tried polishing a black blade then I'll try it and report back.

(By the way, I'm referring to teflon and similar soft coats on BM, MT, Protech knives. I'd never remove a boron "Bodycote" coating from a MT because they're pretty hard and too nice!)
---
Build a man a fire;
keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire;
keep him warm for
the rest of his life.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

There are too many different types of black coatings/platings to give an answer that fits all of them. In general I'd avoid them, or wait until one has worn off a fair amount of the "black stuff".