"Professional" knife repairs

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

"Professional" knife repairs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here is the kind of stuff I have to put up with.
This knife belongs to a very good customer, who is just getting into vintage knives. If he were not such a good customer, I would have sent it back as unrepairable.
It was obviously "repaired" by someone who thinks he is a pro. He has a milling machine, access to handle material, and brass nails.
Let's see what we can find wrong:
I didn't take pictures before disassembly, but the fit of all the parts was atrocious.
1.The blade has been reshaped to almost a sheepsfoot design to attempt to get the point into the liners. Blade has been crudely polished.
2. The pivot area of the blade has been milled ouit and a circle of brass silver-soldered in.
3. Pivot hole drilled way oversized.
4. Badly fitted stag scales.
5. Scales installed with modern brads instead of using pin stock.
6. Lever pivot pin
7. Bolsters improperly buffed, leaving pits and slurring shape.Lever spring pin improperly "spun."
8. Pivot, rear bolster and lever spring pins were nickel silver. The proper metal is steel.
9. Hubertus kickspring improperly fitted.
All in all, this work is past bad-it's pitiful.
Attachments
IMG_3866.JPG
IMG_3866.JPG (43.08 KiB) Viewed 5131 times
IMG_3865.JPG
IMG_3865.JPG (46.1 KiB) Viewed 5131 times
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG (63.38 KiB) Viewed 5131 times
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: "Professional" knife repairs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

More "wrong" stuff:
Handle pins have been moved on front scale. I guess he didn't have the right size "nails" to fit the existing holes.
Rear scale has 5 pin holes instead of the proper 3.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Rubens Blades

Post by Rubens Blades »

Ouch! That looks likes shit,and to make it worse, that is a pretty rare knife. Wouldn't be so bad if it was a cheapo modern knife.Good luck,I see at least 10-15 hours of work just to get it decent.More if you want it primo.
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

Looks like he did everything wrong . Ouch
Stagnut
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Should update this thread bill once its complete...will be nice to see it finished properly.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's already on it's way back to the owner. I forgot to take pics.
It didn't look drastically better when I finished, but it worked properly and hab no gaps.