Mini lever lock build

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ChadEntwistle

Mini lever lock build

Post by ChadEntwistle »

I needed to heat the blade to "fit" the back of the blade with the sear. I was able to get a good fit, now what's the best method to re harden the steel?

Thanks for any input.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Mini lever lock build

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Stainless is generally air-hardening. There should be no need to heat treat further.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Thanks Bill! I get busy putting this thing together.
Chad
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Another question if someone would be so kind.
I have built a couple of leverlocks, and have purchased a mini and a leverletto to use as a benchmark.
My question is both of mine deploy well and I am pretty happy with the mini, not so much with my leverletto kit, that's another story though.
Anyway moving forward. Both kits I have built, the lever does not "snap" to the safe position when I close the blade. On both of the knives I use as a benchmark the lever does "snap" into the safe position. Any tips here? Just checking before my next build.

Also, what can I use for a pivot pin on a leverletto? I am going to tear it down and give it another try' so I will need a new pivot.

Thanks a bunch, things are getting interesting as I progress with my skills. I can see how all you guys end up with a shop full of tools!
Chad
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pivot pins are easily made by chucking a common nail into a drill and filing it to the exact size. This is assuming you don't have acess to a lathe.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Ok that's simple enough, no lathe. So just get it "snug" in the pivot hole?

What about the lever snapping into the safe position, when the blade is closed?

Thanks Bill!

Chad
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you can get that to happen every time, you are a better cutler than me!
Actually, I have never really tried to make that happen, as I don't feel it is necessary to the operation of the knife. If it does happen, I consider it a lucky bonus.
All affected edges would have to be sharp, the lever spring very strong, lever bearing angles exactly correct, and clearances exactly right.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

That makes me feel better. I have looked pretty close to the action. I can see how it needs to be
And at the same time I can see how quickly you could screw thing up pretty quickly
Trying to make it happen.
Thanks Bill it's a real pleasure talking to you.