Anyone Else Having Problems With Camel Bone?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Nemo

Anyone Else Having Problems With Camel Bone?

Post by Nemo »

Is anyone else having issues with camel bone lately?...I am finding that it is super brittle,smells like bleach and it's giving me a serious allergic reaction on my hands,fingers,face,etc...everywhere except where my respirator is... I fixed the brittle issue by stabilizing it...but there is still something in it that is not good for me....I am thinking that they are soaking it in something to be able to import it to the U.S....and maybe they do not have strict regulations as to what they soak it in to clean or bleach it....Nemo
dave

Re: Anyone Else Having Problems With Camel Bone?

Post by dave »

Nemo wrote:Is anyone else having issues with camel bone lately?...I am finding that it is super brittle,smells like bleach and it's giving me a serious allergic reaction on my hands,fingers,face,etc...everywhere except where my respirator is... I fixed the brittle issue by stabilizing it...but there is still something in it that is not good for me....I am thinking that they are soaking it in something to be able to import it to the U.S....and maybe they do not have strict regulations as to what they soak it in to clean or bleach it....Nemo
It has been like that for 10 yrs that I know of.
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Nemo wrote:Is anyone else having issues with camel bone lately?...I am finding that it is super brittle,smells like bleach and it's giving me a serious allergic reaction on my hands,fingers,face,etc...everywhere except where my respirator is... I fixed the brittle issue by stabilizing it...but there is still something in it that is not good for me....I am thinking that they are soaking it in something to be able to import it to the U.S....and maybe they do not have strict regulations as to what they soak it in to clean or bleach it....Nemo
No allergic reactions here ( I think ) Mr. Nemo , but the stuff makes me sneeze like crazy , even while wearing a respirator ...I hate the stuff ! :lol:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

What is the advantage of camel bone vs bovine other than the fact it is "exotic"? What about giraffe bone,is it harder than camel?
(not being a smart-*ss,I truly don't know)
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Viking45 wrote:What is the advantage of camel bone vs bovine other than the fact it is "exotic"? What about giraffe bone,is it harder than camel?
(not being a smart-*ss,I truly don't know)
Personally , I don't know of a advantage , I just figure the difference is " apples & oranges" !....BTW ...I don't sneeze when working with cow bone or regular horn :shock:
Hmmm..... :lol:
BIRD

Post by BIRD »

When I use bone and wood I use resign with them to make them more stable, Being a House Painter for 40 yrs I come across rotted wood on window sills alot so I have some wood resign that I buy from Sherwin williams paint storeit is thin and clear kinda like superglue, Just put your rough handles in a mason jar fill it up with the resign and pop it into the microwave turn it on and you will see your handles start to bubble, dont let it boil or it will boil over and your wife will kill :cry: you take them out and chuck them in a vice over night then finsh them out, the resign really seeps into the material and makes it stronger
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Straydog 5247 wrote:.BTW ...I don't sneeze when working with cow bone or regular horn :shock:
Hmmm..... :lol:
You must be allergic to camels Ron. :lol:

But seriously it must be what they treat the bone with,bleach or some other chemicals.
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Viking45 wrote: You must be allergic to camels Ron. :lol:

Ah reckon so Mr. Viking ! .... :wink: ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Frank B hates to use it I have heard -- brittle.
Belmont800
Wdalew5

Post by Wdalew5 »

" guess what day it is ?"

" yea its humpday"

" no, its HUMPDAYYYYY"

Thats the camel bone I am having trouble with

Yuk yuk
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I'm no expert for sure but it does have a distinctive appearance, almost like mammoth ivory. Had a couple of small pieces and tried my hand at making scales for a straight razor. Unfortunately as mentioned it is very brittle and wound up cracking the scales.
No ill affects but did wear a mask. And happy that I did. :D
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
muskrat man

Post by muskrat man »

the combined processes of boiling and bleaching prior to export makes it brittle. the processes are required by law unfortunately to make sure they are sterile.