Question on Pin Spinners

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
novice

Question on Pin Spinners

Post by novice »

I picked up some drill rod and am going to have a go at making my own spinner set but have several related questions -

(1) What are the typical dome dimensions of the spinner? Does the dome diameter matter? Do you just make it an arbitrary size like 1/8" or 1/16" and only spin the head until you reach the size you need?

(2) The Schrade style spinner has 3 filed grooves. What purpose do they serve? As they are at the outside of the spinner diameter the don't do anything when you start to spin the pin so their function must come at the end of the spinning process. Is that correct?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Question on Pin Spinners

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I only spin heads on knives that originally had spun pins.
I doubt that dome dimensions matter much, as long as there is a good head after spinning. The Schrade style tool cuts the handle material around the pin.
Spinning is used on production knives and my feeling is that it should not be used on most knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
novice

Post by novice »

Bill DeShivs wrote:
I doubt that dome dimensions matter much, as long as there is a good head after spinning. The Schrade style tool cuts the handle material around the pin.
That makes sense. I noticed that some Schrade knives have a flat "rim" on the pin so that must be why.
Bill DeShivs wrote:Spinning is used on production knives and my feeling is that it should not be used on most knives.
Do you use a rivet set instead or just lightly peen it? I like the look of the domed head pin and a spinner seemed like a better approach than peening but I was guessing. I freely acknowledge possibly over-thinking prior to actually doing and greatly appreciate your comments on this.

Tom
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I use whatever method necessary to properly restore a knife.
Different tools to accomplish the goal at hand. Most "spun" rivets can be closely approximated by simple peening, then using a cupped punch to shape the head.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
novice

Post by novice »

Bill DeShivs wrote:I use whatever method necessary to properly restore a knife.
Different tools to accomplish the goal at hand. Most "spun" rivets can be closely approximated by simple peening, then using a cupped punch to shape the head.
Ah hah, light bulb goes off!

:idea:

I was not considering your restoration and repair work as I asked the question only thinking how I would do it on a knife I want to make for myself.

Dawn breaks, thanks again.

Tom