Bargeon 860

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
OleRod

Bargeon 860

Post by OleRod »

Hi again Bill!

I am waiting for an all stainless handle Bargeon (7 /1/2") to be delivered to me.

I bought this on a impluse (like always .. hummmm ) before I did any research on it. Later, I surfed thorough several forums, but really did not find out much other than the company has stopped making switchblades and that the general consensus seemed to be that they were rather "flimsey".

I was surprised to find that in one forum you said you liked them! You did not expand your short statement. I have tried to refind your posting so that I could make direct reference to it, but I cannot. I am sure I saw it.

Would you mind commenting on the Bargeon? Do you like them because of their relatively low prices, reliability, design, quality or what?

I and I am sure many others would value your expanded opinion.

Thanks so much,

Olerod
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Bargeon 860

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I like Bargeon knives. The blades are well-ground, the shape of the knives is cool, and they are generally well-made.
The cheesy plastic handles on some models are typically French, and many times the knives have banana blades (easily fixed by filing the blade tang.)
Bargeons are less common than typical Italian knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

Bill ... many thanks. Looks like I may have picked a good one!!

Olerod
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

The mailman just dropped off the 860. I am more than pleased. Even the safety is nice and tight, but that will free up more over time. I think it might have a touch of the "banana" blade.

WElllllll .... i ordered the Bargeon 864 this morning. The pic looks pretty beefy with a 9 1/2 inch overall length. It has the cheesy plastic handle that Bill talked about. Seems sort of a shame. :( However, perhaps the handle could be replaced with a nice stag or bone? Bill, what do you think??? :D Would it be worthwhile doing?

Olerod
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It can be done, but I don't think it's worth it.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
novice

Post by novice »

Bill DeShivs wrote: (easily fixed by filing the blade tang.)
Some look like they tilt slightly to the left when open like the one in the pic below.

Do you file at the right-bottom of the tang to correct that?

novice

niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Hi guys ,,,i think you would file the tang where it strikes the backspring no? one stroke , check , another stroke check ,etc. ive had luck doing this but ya better wait till Bill chimes in :wink:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Niceguy is correct.
novice

Post by novice »

Got it, thank you!

Tom
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

Leave it to me to be confused by the obvious....... :oops: :oops:

But .......... it looks like this "adjustment" can be made without disassembling the knife. Just open the blade half way or so and hopefully find a very thin file that will not rub against the bolsters. Nes pas? (my misspelled french)

Do I hear someone laughing ....... :roll:

Olerod
novice

Post by novice »

OleRod wrote:
Just open the blade half way or so and hopefully find a very thin file that will not rub against the bolsters.
That's how I understand it too, is that correct?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Correct.
novice

Post by novice »

What detail is in the tang to lock the blade in place when open? Is it another square hole or slot like the Leverletto has?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The small models use a slot like the Leverletto. The larger Bargeons use a lockback mechanism. You have to be very careful fitting the lockback models, as you have very little fitting leeway.
novice

Post by novice »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The small models use a slot like the Leverletto. The larger Bargeons use a lockback mechanism. You have to be very careful fitting the lockback models, as you have very little fitting leeway.
Thank you, that gives me some confidence towards my first attempted repair.

I will start a new thread when I receive my non-locking in open position Bargeon 7 1/2" I won last night.

I am hoping I can rectify it with a needle file without tearing it down.

Tom