Customized Medici

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
john

Re: Customized Medici

Post by john »

Most likely it comes from a time period in Italy the 14th century it was the beginning of the Italian Renaissance . It was a very artistic time period. The arts flourished. The Medici family was a very powerful family in Florence lots of money, very rich, politically influential. They commissioned artist to design and decorate their home. Their home is a historic landmark. Their home is a castle and open to the public. They were catholics and I believe some Medici's became Popes. The knife is a swing guard and it may symbolizes the cross. Their influence lasted a long time. The name is derived from medico which does mean doctor.
I know more info than you wanted or need.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

John is correct.
These Italian autos are copies of the German Puma "Medici" lockbacks.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks John and Bill,so my question wasn't too dumb after all.
Very cool info indeed 8)
john

Post by john »

In my opinion no question is dumb. Feeling like you can't ask a question is wrong. People who make others feel that they can't ask a question are bullies and they are the dumb ones. Always ask, never stop learning, knowledge is power, knowledge is cool 8) that's my opinion.
John

FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

john6553 wrote:In my opinion no question is dumb. Feeling like you can't ask a question is wrong. People who make others feel that they can't ask a question are bullies and they are the dumb ones. Always ask, never stop learning, knowledge is power, knowledge is cool 8) that's my opinion.
John, you have referenced the caption underneath the TalkBlade.Info title at the top of the page, on several occasions: "the web's most friendly community on knives and blades." just wanted to interject here to let you know that it is you who brings that caption to fruition. You are one of the most friendly people I've ever come into contact with on any forum.
alcune persone sono cattive. ma voi siete d'oro.
all the best,
free
"Everyone is your neighbor."
john

Post by john »

FreeTheArmy wrote:
john6553 wrote:In my opinion no question is dumb. Feeling like you can't ask a question is wrong. People who make others feel that they can't ask a question are bullies and they are the dumb ones. Always ask, never stop learning, knowledge is power, knowledge is cool 8) that's my opinion.
John, you have referenced the caption underneath the TalkBlade.Info title at the top of the page, on several occasions: "the web's most friendly community on knives and blades." just wanted to interject here to let you know that it is you who brings that caption to fruition. You are one of the most friendly people I've ever come into contact with on any forum.
alcune persone sono cattive. ma voi siete d'oro.
all the best,
free
Ciao Free,
That's one of the friendliest things anyone has ever said to me. I'm at a loss for words and that's not like me at all.
Mille grazie tuo amico,
John
John

tedmen

Post by tedmen »

Your a 'dab hand' at the engraving too Bill! Nice.
S&W

Post by S&W »

SA-WEEET!!! :mrgreen:
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

OMG. That's that nicest I've ever seen. Beautiful!!!
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
StevieWunder
Location: Georgia, land of the free, home of 4 million northern escapees

Post by StevieWunder »

Thank God the Italians didn't make them like that-I'd be bankrupt. It's a near thing now just trying to build a collection of what they DID make. That, Bill, is a work of art-just the kind of thing you would expect to find in a De Medici's pocket.
John, thank you. I learn a great deal from your discourses. Your willingness to share your knowledge is a gift to you as well as a gift to those of us who desire to learn.
Is this fun,or WHUT?
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

I want to thank John too. Obviously a scholar, gentleman and all around nice guy.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thanks, everyone!
If Ms. Debbie will let me sell it, I'll have it at the Blade Show.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

BRAVO !!! You`re a class act Mr D.,,,,, Outstanding !
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Breathtaking!!!!!
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
Rave

Post by Rave »

Absolutely fantastic,I love it! :mrgreen: