Bois'DArc

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Bois'DArc

Post by Viking45 »

Attention manglers-
I have some 15 year old (the tree was over 80yrs old)"hedge',bois d'arc,osage or whatever you wish to call it.
The only thing in North America harder is desert iron wood,so they say.
Being in the tree biz I have saved some nice pieces through the years.
I can send you guys slices at any length you want for FREE.
It's got gorgeous grain.
PM me if you want some.

It's not stabilized but no need to be,it's incredibly hard wood.

It's free so first come first serve.
Last edited by Viking45 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
eastcoastsniper

Re: Bois'DArc

Post by eastcoastsniper »

Thanks for the most generous offer Viking.

I like to use acrylics for my mangling projects.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I got a couple of PM's for this so I thought I would mention that this wood I have is still wrapped in bark. At this point all I can do is cut it in lengths because my small bandsaw's blade is dull right now.
Last edited by Viking45 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

I had one place I used to mow that had at least six of those in a row. Those osage oranges were a royal pain to mow over. There were too many of them to clean up first. Luckily none ever fell on me. Those that don't know, the fruit of the osage orange is about the size of a grapefruit and very hard.
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Yeah we had hedge apple fights as a kid.(osage oranges)
They have different names depending on where you are from. We always called them "hedge" trees(hedge apples) and yes sir,they can be hell to mow over :lol: It will sound like your mower is about to come apart.
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

Got my piece, thank you very much, very kind of you, you are an officer and a gentleman!!! Look forward to using it maybe on one of these minikits.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Although I have been in the tree business most of my life I am no 'wood expert'.
This wood has been cut for 15 years but maybe Bill or Kaleb can suggest some means of a treatment...providing the wood grain is acceptable for handle material.

Back in the 70's I would be riding in an old Ford pick-up with my Grandad and he would say "Me and your dad put that corner fence post in the ground back in 1947"
Referring to a osage post still standing strong as ever.

I have always had a fascination for the osage tree and it's incredibly hard wood.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

I love osage ,but it's Meaner than Hell it does a good job of tearing things up,one time I was out at the old junk pile (cans,bottles,jars& packrat nests)
when I notice a small dead branch about an inch wide and maybe a foot or so long above my head,well I'll just reach up there and break it off or so I thought
,when I pulled on it it yanked back twice as hard and ripped a 1/4 strip of meat all the way down my middle finger OUCH!!! (I think that little branch is allright right where it is :D ) I do have parts of the same tree on a leverletto and a mikov,and the rest of the limb that I Cut off for knife handles has taken root and is still growing!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Yeah it's mean! One would think a twig smaller in diameter than a pencil would snap right off.
I have always worn very heavy duty work boots and I had a thorn go right through part of the heavy rubber sole and straight into the leather and into my arch,hurt for a week.
It's a great wood but it plays heck on saw blades,that is the main reason more people choose not to work with it.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

I bought a Sawsall at the Cheap Chinese Truck Sale,
the block of wood won the fight :)
an old fella at the fair was selling Spinning Top's
he made on a lathe,some of them were made of osage,
he said he wasnt going to try that again he spent more time sharpening his cutting tools than making the tops!