WORKING MOTHER-OF-PEARL

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
fw190pilot

WORKING MOTHER-OF-PEARL

Post by fw190pilot »

Hello everyone,I'm new here and could use your help. I have loved spring steel since about age 10 when I sneeked my Dad's Mex Bullfighter out of his office and snapped it for the 1st. time. I am making new real mother-of-pearl scales for a model 7406T Schrade 3 3/8" double. I have never worked with MOP before, what is the method you experences guys use to cut, drill.and polish this type of material. :) :) Thanks
Last edited by fw190pilot on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Re: WORKING MOTHER-OF-PERAL

Post by tr4252 »

Welcome, fw190pilot. I think you're in luck, this subject has been discussed in other threads. Several members here have knowledge on the subject.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Cryptomecanic

Re: WORKING MOTHER-OF-PEARL

Post by Cryptomecanic »

wear a respirator so you don't breathe any of the dust,I hear it will really tear up your lungs if your not carefull
butch

Post by butch »

indeed it will,ive been told its toxic and also told its just a myth but dont chance it either way.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pearl is best worked and sanded wet.
Using cushioned abrasives like rubber wheels will minimize chipping. Use sharp drill bits and let the bit do the cutting-don't use much pressure or you will break the pearl. Carbide drills and grinding bits work well.
Wet sand the pearl to about 400-600 grit, then buff.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Heres a link I checked out a while ago with similar questions I had about working with mop jwpilot. It's basically a detailed description of some of what Bill said.
http://www.pearlgifts.bizland.com/working_tips.html
Leverlock switchblades