Couple of liner questions

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
flytyer46

Couple of liner questions

Post by flytyer46 »

I have one of my el cheapo 9" stilletto's torn apart and the liner is .030. Is this about the same as a
Italian model? Also do the liners on the longer knives get thicker? I have a 13" AKC and the liners
don't look much bigger than the .030 liners from my cheap knife. That leads to my last question.
The liners on the 13" are bent/warped. Both sides are warped, but the liner on the button side
is the worst one, it has a pretty good gap in it. It has pulled the tab on the locking mechanism
away from the blade. It's a little scary to holding a 13 inch knife and have it decide to open up whenever it
wants too! Are the thin liners the problem or could it be something else?

thanks

Tim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Couple of liner questions

Post by Vagrant »

the liners ARE too thin :(
They get thicker starting with the 15" :idea:
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

The warped liners are the cause of the mis fires.

I assembled a Mikov not long ago and used torx screws to attach the scales. When the scales were overtightened, it caused the knife to fire just by looking at it :o :o and the liners on the Mikov are twice as thick as the stiletto. I backed the screws out a touch, and it was fine.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The liners aren't actually warped. The button mechanism bends them. This is a common occurrence on most autos. Thicker liners might help a little. Minimizing the pressure on the liners (from the mechanism) helps more. Strong scales like Micarta or aluminum help a lot.
Using thicker liners-made of stronger materials, minimizing pressure through proper fitting, and using strong scales-properly pinned to the strong liners helps a lot!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.