Thanks, I love my Dremel

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

Thanks, I love my Dremel

Post by BennytheBlade »

Just wanted to thank Claudester and Nemo and the others on the filework thread... encouraged me to finally get a dremel, and I havent have so much fun w/ a power tool in a long time... almost every one of my knives is now beautifully polished, and tho my filework still needs loads of help, Im better than I was. btw, on low speed, a half a Q-tip does wonders for polishing (on high speed its dangerous :oops: )
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

right on mr BTB! i've been wanting to get one ever since reading, and posting in that thread too! got any pics of your handy work?
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

havent taken any of the filework as its still pretty poor, tho I guess i could risk the humiliation... Ill see what i can do...
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey Mr. BennytheBlade,
I'm glad to hear that your enjoying doing the file work. I did a lot of clones when I first started and now I'm going to tremble on some of my blades that
I keep for myself. One is a 8" stag lever lock that I think will look way-to-cool
with the filework. I've taken some of my pics off the forum cause I was running out of room with my server. I have to figure out a different way to post in that area. Again I enjoy working the metal as much as collecting the blades
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Mr. Benny,
I forgot to ask, whitch tool did you buy?
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

WOWWWWWWW!
I know I spelt which wrong but whats with the peniz + vaegina?
Who let this one in? I think I better get to work.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Just so you guys don't think I'm a little or a whole lotta nuts. There was a post just before my last one with someone saying they liked their penis and vagina. Go figure!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

LOL... i was wondering about that... to answer your question I got the multipro... variable speed, lots of extras... only thing ive like more than it is the blades I buy...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

with someone saying they liked their penis and vagina.

IF they have both maybe they should go ---- themselves.
[yes mods. do it as soon as we've had a chuckle or two].
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey guys, same thing here - that thread inspired me to get one too, and a couple weeks a go i finally did.

i've wrecked one knife so far (an old POS buck fixed blade) but thanks to mr claudster, i now know where i wen wrong - i need a chainsaw file!

any sanding and polishing tips you guys could offer would be appreciated!
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

HEY HEY Mr. BIGG,
I take one of the grinding stones from the dremel and go quickly on an angle back and forth a couple of times. That roughly smooths the grind out. Then I take emery paper on a file and run it again on a angle a little. I bought two 6" grinders and put buffing pads on them and just use the buffers to clean it up.
Take Care
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Mr. Bigg,
Don't forget that there are three sizes of chainsaw files, Buy all three.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Even if you never owned a knife, a Dremel is a neccessity. A file assortment [including chainsaw files] is also almost a requirement.
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Just a peculiar thought, why is it still called filework if it's done with a Dremel? Shouldn't it be called Dremelwork? Filework is an art and done by hand using hand files. I'm not saying that using the Dremel is cheating, but I don't think it should be called filework. Sorry but I'm in an unusual state of mind this morn as I await the delivery man and my newest toy. ;)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The more traditional do it with files entirely. Others use the Dremel to varying degrees, from lay-out to the entire job.