Scorched stag horn

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
big_ski

Scorched stag horn

Post by big_ski »

Mr. DeShivs, I have a Frank B stag stiletto I feel would look better with more contrast. my plan is to scorch then follow up with Fiebing's brown leather dye. I found a little info on Blade Fourms but it wasn't enough. Would you share some of your knowledge on this subject? Thanks very much!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Scorched stag horn

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sure!
First you have to understand that the lighter parts have to stay light. Please don't torch the stag! Torching is obvious, and it dries out the stag. Use leather dye on a toothpick, and flow it only in the low spots. Stay away from the white inside of the stag. You can also use a Sharpie or Magic Marker to color the ruts black, but don't go overboard with it. Once the dye/ink is dry, I like to use Krylon clear spray acrylic to fix the colors. You can spray it on a q-tip and flow it into the low areas. After this is dry, lightly sand the raised portions with fresh 400 grit sandpaper, then buff. If you don't have a buffer, sand to 600-800 grit and then briskly polish with a soft cloth and Simichrome, Mother's or similar polish.
Use a small amount of polish rubbed into the cloth, so that the residue doesn't get into the ruts. Then wax the handle with neutral shoe polish or car wax.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

I agree with Bill, don't scorch the stag....
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

ok thanks! lots of info to work with 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I seldom disagree with Bill but this time, I completely AGREE :!: :!:
There is a rumor that the stocks on some flintlocks were scorched [by wrapping cord and buning it] but, chemicle and microscopic analysys refutes this :idea:
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Vagrant wrote:I seldom disagree with Bill but this time, I completely AGREE :!: :!:
There is a rumor that the stocks on some flintlocks were scorched [by wrapping cord and buning it] but, chemicle and microscopic analysys refutes this :idea:
i've used this method on ramrods, but i put glue on the cord for a better burn.

tryker
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

PO-BOYS tiger striped maple.... :lol:
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...