pin head spinner

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
partsproduction

pin head spinner

Post by partsproduction »

Reading "The complete book of pocketknife repair, a cutlers manual" I came across mention of a "Spinning tool" that is used to spin the heads of pins so they are uniformly rounded in appearance. I remembered coming across one for sale somewhere. Does anyone know where one can buy these? Short of that, how about a description of how they are made and used? Thanks,
partsproduction
moe

Re: pin head spinner

Post by moe »

What!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

my body's achin' and my time is at hand
partsproduction

Yes! That's what I stumbled into before, thanks. Looks pretty easy to make, I'll experiment with it.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

you can make them out of broken drill bit shafts,anneal, center punch,use a dremmel round to make the indention,then taper it on the grinder,and re harden
partsproduction

That "T" guy said his are carbide, which is what the book recommended. I started saving carbide single end mills when they break or get dull, now I know why. I'll make up my own and it won't cost me another argument with my boss (wife).
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i use my broken carbide drills for drilling out broken taps

tryker
partsproduction

I probably should just pay up, making one would take some time.
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

seen them listed on either texas knife or knife kits also. not as well made ,but much cheaper.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Spinners are only necessary for knives that were manufactured that way, like American knives.
Few European knives require the use of spinners. Spinning heads was a production method that didn't require peening by hand.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
partsproduction

For me well finished "Machine made" processes are not detrimental to quality, in fact just the opposite. None of my switchblades are high value collector pieces so it's not like I'm "destroying" a Latima.
The switchblades made by Mikov have more modern processes in their rivetting, I like that, it says quality to me. I've met many people who take the view that anything that is irregular in appearance says "Hand made" and that it's a sign of quality because of the hand process. I won't argue manufacturing philosophy here, but I'm a production machinist, which explains my viewpoint pretty well. I'm not trying to upset anyone who feels otherwise.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nothing wrong with machining.
It's just that certain knives-American ones in particular, were produced with spun rivets, others were hand-finished. A rivet can be set by hand and it will be indiscernable from machined, after polishing.
What I am saying is that you don't NEED a spinner unless the production methods require one.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Mr. Partsproduction,

Having spent much of my career as a Quality Engineer in the pharmaceutical/medical device industry, I fully understand your point regarding modern technologies that minimize piece-to-piece variation. I also appreciate the work of a skilled artisian using traditional materials and tools. To me, it is sort of an apples and oranges situation comparing them.

It is nice to know that I can fire my modern CNC made switchblades repeatedly without fear of imparting wear and the resultant dreaded blade play. It is also nice to behold handmade piece of old world materials and appreciate the sweat and skill that went into it. I suppose my point is that is not a matter of which is better but rather that both can be appreciated.

Jim
partsproduction

This says more about my personality than about need. Anyone who knows me thinks I'm a tool collector. :) I know that people vary in their abilities, some folks have trouble doing a good looking job with tools, while others can't do nice work without them, I'm in the latter category. If I wanted to serrate the frontstrap of a 1911 for instance, I wouldn't even think of doing it with a checkering file, but I admire those who can. I'd come up with a way to mill the serrations.
switchbuilder44

Post by switchbuilder44 »

I am the Maker of the pin spinners on SD auctions , I only use them on my Case Conversions and anything I want ot get out quick , they work fast and usualy without and dingged up bolsters , and cracked handle material , but they are not to used un skillfully , as with anything they can cause destruction if they are not properly used , Pin Length is very improtant 1/16 or less by a minute amount on ea side is nessasary for great reuslts High speed on the drill press and Med to firm pressure but make sure you dont rock your knife to one side or the other to gouge the handles , with time they are a breeze , thanks for the plug BTW , they are 75.00 shipped and I do have 3 sets avadable , T
butch

Post by butch »

I just barely trust myself peening them with a jewelers hammer,Id really mess up with one of these. :lol: