Exchanging the blade on an F. Beltrame "Fish'

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Exchanging the blade on an F. Beltrame "Fish'

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

F. Beltrame offers a 10" O.A.L. Fishtail Italian Picklock. I am considering having one sent to me (from the manufacturer) unassemebled. I would have the blade duplicated in D2 or ATS-34 steel, replace the pivot pin with one of a sturdier metal (e.g. titanium alloy.) I would then have something akin to what my father had in the 1950's, but with a blade that; a) would cut far better, b) hold a better edge, and c) be much less prone to rust.

Do I sound silly? or is this a feasible plan?

Fishtail Picklock
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Mon May 05, 2003 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Sounds good, but why not get the 10" damascas fully assembled from Frank B. Have one of these beautys from and the blade is as sharp as ats-34.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

F P,

Your fathers knife in the 50's was most likely carbon steel. The attributes that you mentioned would be feasable except for "be much less prone to rust". The downside to carbon steel is that it is very prone to rust. One major advantage of modern stainless steel is that at least to some degree it lives uo to its name. I have spent many days at sea and am well aware of the corrosive nature of salt air / water.

If you want to be a purist and go the carbon steel route, it won't be rust resistant. The ATS-34 steel you mentioned elsewhere would be much more rust resistant, but is not authentic.

Hope this helps

Jim
Fishtail Picklock

No Go!

Unfortunately, they stopped putting the Damascus blade on their "Fish." I know, I asked. The told me that it is no longer available. Damn!

Fishtail Picklock.
Fishtail Picklock

That's O.K.. I want the "spirit" of my father's knife to be preserved. A modern, higher-grade material would have made daddy proud!

Fishtail Picklock
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Thats too bad, it's a beauty.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I saw a post somewhere on a "Mini-Fish" and no more info. Anyone able to refresh my memory on this??????
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Hi Vagrant,they were the 16cm. little fish made by A.K.C. like ALL the other fish!Apparantly they only made around 320, I have not recieved mine yet but Angelo assures me they are on their way!ALL the other fish I have are great little knives,the BEST being my damasscus one!Hope this helps! :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)