"Banana Blade"

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

"Banana Blade"

Post by JulesVane »

Sorry if this subject has been too repetitious over the years, honestly, I haven't searched the subject. With a slight banana, lean towards the well when open, it seems there are at very least, 2 spots that could just be sanded or filed down just a hair to make it better. Where the back of the blade rests on top of the lock tab. Seems one could file a tad here, or file a tad there, but then we have the pin in the lock tab hole to consider. I guess the bottom line question is...can "banana blade" be fixed? Thanks Bill...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: "Banana Blade"

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It can be fixed- but it's not quite as simple as doing a little filing. Filing those spots will let the blade open further, but it will have excessive play.
Metal has to me moved around to eliminate the play and straighten the blade.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you so much for your reply, Bill. Good to know there’s always hope. I’ve sent you an email, unfortunately imposing you further on your, already, very overburdened work load.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

it could be done without messing up the tightness , years ago when i did run of 18" picklocks with AGA when i got them the locktab stuck out a tad bit from the bolster didnt sit flush like they were supposed to and most of that run had slight bananna blade so i took a file and filed a hair i mean a hair off top of locktab and notch out of back of blade where locktab seats when blade is in open position , it made every blade 100% straight and brought the locktab in closer to bolster like it was supposed to be so YES it can be done but you have to be very careful as you file just a hair too much and you just made it loose as hell lol but that can be fixed you just have to take your time and file very little at a time but to anser your question yes it can be fixed :)